Re: who's making jerkey
Here is one that I use. I add lemon juice to it as well as take out the ketchup (I don't like it). I also add what we call Dale's Sauce. It is high in sodium but I like it. I've used the oven method and dehydrator method and either works well with this. If you do use the oven, put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom rack to catch any drippings.
• 1 pound boneless venison roast
• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
• 1 tablespoon ketchup
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Slice meat into long strips, 1 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. In a large releasable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, ketchup, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt and salt. Place meat in, and close bag. Refrigerate overnight. Knead occasionally, to evenly distribute marinade.
2. Preheat oven to 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Place a pan on the bottom of oven to catch drips, or line with aluminum foil.
3. Place meat strips on a rack so that they do not touch each other, and dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours in the oven, or until desired consistency is achieved.