Originally Posted by Dog Soldier
A gas leak caused that by accident. The owner of the house had tried for some time to sell it. He was gone and the wife and daughter had decided to stay in a hotel that night.
That's not what is being reported.
Apparently the man moved out quite a while ago; ex-wife and daughter live there. The daughter was spending the night at a friend's house, and ex-wife was with her boyfriend at a casino.
The fishy part is that the cat was being boarded. Cats do just fine being left alone for the weekend, so I don't know why someone would just randomly board the cat for one night.