I needed a priming horn for my flintlock rifle and couldn't find anything that I really liked. I had this old horn laying around and decided it could be something to learn on.
The horn was rough but the small size was what I needed so I started scraping. I used a piece of broken glass then a wood rasp to shape it.
When the shape was right, I found a scrap piece of Walnut for an end plug.
I should have used Pine as it's easier to work with but didn't didn't know until I had the Walnut fitted. Maybe I should have read up on horn making.
I needed a plug for the spout after drilling the hole and found an Oak dowel rod that would work. Again, maybe I should have used Pine. I turned it down on my belt sander so it wasn't too bad but I'm sure I'll end up making a couple more before the horn is finished.
I've been using sand paper then steel wool to work over any inperfections in the horn.
I still have some work to do such as wood pins to hold in the end plug and then fitting an end cap over the plug.
I may even try my hand at scrimshaw.
Here are some pictures so far.