Re: Best cal.
What PetahW said! To be honest, the best round for squirrel hunting is the lowley old
.22 long, not the long rifle, and I like the shorts for cat (grey) squirrels. Some old time advice for squirrel hunters, I've been at this game for over 50 years. A .22 long rifle will shoot thru a squirrel real fast. A long will shoot thru also, but slower. Going thru slower gives the bullet, as it deforms, more of a chance to pull the squirrel lose form the limb. Same holds true for the .22 short, and the smaller cat squirrels. I've left more than one squirrel lying on a limb, or up in the leaves, holding on with a death grip, after being hit many times with .22LR ammo. The WMR is just too much bullet for squirrel hunting, unless you can be sure of a head shot, and in my book that is no place to shoot a squirrel. The head is the best eatin part! .22 LR has a muzzle velocity of around 1250fps, depending on what brand you're shooting. The .22WMR has a muzzle velocity of around 1800 - 1900fps, again, depending on the brand you're shooting. That's fast enough to blow up a poor little ole squirrel! Where would you shoot a deer? That spot works real well for squirrels too!
Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
Lamentations Chapter 5:
1. Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach.
2. Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.
3. We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers [are] as widows.
5. Our necks [are] under persecution: we labour, [and] have no rest.
16. The crown is fallen [from] our head: woe unto us, that we have sinned!
21. Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.
Last edited by carver; 05-11-2009 at 02:12 PM..