Re: If the stuff really hits the fan.
I tend to lean to the modern fire arms. Not to say that the military surplus rifles won't get the job done, because they will. The biggest reason for my choice is caliber. .44 Mag in pistol, and rifle. .357 Mag in pistol and rifle, etc. If the SHTF, and you have to move out, ammo that will work in a hand gun, and or, rifle/carbine, would be so much easier to carry. I know that the distance the military rifles will shoot is so much greater than the pistol type ammo. However, if I have to bug out, and I probably won't, I would be headed for the deep woods. There shots of over 100 yds are hard to find, so I don't think I would need a rifle that would shoot out to 1000 yds. If I lived in open country I'm sure that I would have a different out look! Still, I would love to own one of these fine military rifles, and have told my wife that I would like a K-98 for Christmass! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!
Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
Lamentations Chapter 5:
1. Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach.
2. Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.
3. We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers [are] as widows.
5. Our necks [are] under persecution: we labour, [and] have no rest.
16. The crown is fallen [from] our head: woe unto us, that we have sinned!
21. Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.