Originally Posted by WABob
Tariffs are a double edged sword. The USA exports goods also. We could find ourselves subject to retaliatory tariffs in return. There are other ways to be competitive. If we are pricing ourselves out of the market, then we need to become more efficient. Unfortunately one way some companies do this is to reduce wages, which is something no wage earner wants to happen.
I totally agree that tariffs are a two edged sword, and that other nations might retaliate, and impose a tariff on what we import to their country. I also agree that American's are going to have to take a cut in pay. Not just to bring down the price of American made products, but to help balance the budget of our States, and our Nation. Right now though America is a Country of Servants, not a Country of Manufacturers, therefore, we don't have much to export! I say impose the tariff on imports, and as our Nation gets back to a better financial footing, we can then work on the average American's income, and the posibility of removing the tariff. NAFTA, and GAT have to be repealed. America has to stop allowing our Companies to move to foreign shores so they can manufacture a product cheeper, while increasing the number of unemployeed, here at home. Not to mention that the product they now manufacture at a lower price still costs the same here, in the store, if not more. None of this means anything though, unless we can, as a Nation, control our spending, balance our budget, and pay off our debt right now!
Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
Lamentations Chapter 5:
1. Remember, O LORD, what is come upon us: consider, and behold our reproach.
2. Our inheritance is turned to strangers, our houses to aliens.
3. We are orphans and fatherless, our mothers [are] as widows.
5. Our necks [are] under persecution: we labour, [and] have no rest.
16. The crown is fallen [from] our head: woe unto us, that we have sinned!
21. Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.