Re: The Changing Scene
I can think of several ways the fed could inhibit/prohibit back-yard gardens.........
Offhand in no particular order:
1. Declare all seedlings/seeds "contaminated" with any of dozens of diseases, (Xanthomonas comes readily to mind), and prohibit sales or destroy them as a "vital protective service"......
2. Declare all undertaking such efforts "domestic terrorists" .
3. Require all "gardening" of foodstuffs be registered with USDA, then make the process so complex and delayed as to make the effort worthless.....
4. Issue ration books and require all foodstuff garden products be accounted for and checked off against the "national ration"......[BTW, if you don't grasp how this works, go ask grandpa/ma how their parents coped with it.]
5. Seize control of all seed sources as a "strategic national resource".
Yeah, I know you're all thinking "It won't happen".........But GM is now "Government Motors"......As is Chrysler. And "Obama Care" is going to open the data bank floodgates for intergovernmental mining of personal data that will trace your every action and restrict your constitutionally guaranteed "rights" under a host of pogroms and "protective'" restrictions. If a government agency, DHS, can almost pull off a "terrorist training secenario" depicting predomintly white, church-going Christian, ex-military, conservative supporting populace as "terrorists" in "Heartland America" aka Pottawamaie Cty, I, where does it stop ? >MW