Pretty extreme thread title.
This is my first post. Usually i feel bad for joining a forum and only contributing to a few threads, and never comit to being a full member of the community, but i am here for advice, and to promote a discussion.
You might have guessed, im from the UK, London to be specific. There are a few british gun forums, but as firearms are not commonplace, they are not busy, and i doubt they would share the experience that i could gain from a group like this.
I have become a paranoid man. I am losing faith in the world as we know it. The way the western world works, society that feeds on the weak, an economy based on greed. We continue to outgrow ourselves, and it is starting to show. Financial crisis', terrorism, natural disasters, they happen all the time, and we seem to forget them so easily. I think that its going to hit the fan eventually, and that eventuality is going to be in my lifetime. And while all the bankers and retail assistants and consumers panic and struggle, i have decided that i am going to be prepared, and ready. **** is going to go down!
Let me get to the point. I can see from the threads that there are many posts on what weapon is best for self/home/gang defense. I am not going to read through them all in detail, there is far too much information that i simply do not understand. I have never fired anything other than a .22 air rifle.
I want to be armed. I want to have a selection of weaponry that would provide me and maybe one other with the best means to secure my own survival in a world that has been torn apart by looting, gangs, martial law. You name it. Just imagine mad max or something.
I dont want to be driving to the gun shop the day after things go bad, to be greeted by a group of people who are holding it as a fortress, or meet a roadblock as i head out of town that loots all food and water that i am carrying. I need to be prepared now, so that i am ready to go.
A very simple overview of UK law so you have an idea of what i can have (to the best of my knowledge)
Legal with a license:
- Semi automatic + pump action shotguns
- single bolt rifles allowed in any calibre
- semi automatic rifles .22 and below
- fully automatic weapons
- ammunition that is explosive/corrosive/incendiary
- rockets and mortars
- flamethrowers etc
Legal without any license (just some suggestions)
- Compound bows
So, to the actual question.
If i were to pick weapons which i could easily carry, which enabled me to defend myself in a multitude of scenarios, what should i pick, which i can aquire a license and train with NOW, in preparation for what i beleive is an uncertain future. Scenarios to consider would be
- Scavenging and moving through confined indoor spaces
- Shooting targets at some distance before they can return fire
- Shooting many targets without much backup
- Defending myself in close-quarters situations
- Anything regarding hostages or a gun in my face
- Consider that i may be reduced to travel on foot, or even bicycle, so i would be forced to select one or two weapons only
- Consider that ammunition will be extremely rare for me, so a weapon that can utilise a common ammunition would be a bonus
- I am un-trained in the use of fire arms, so something simple to use or easy to learn is potentially good. I doubt i am going to be making good use of a high calibre sniper rifle any time soon.
Keep in mind that this is for DEFENSE. Although i admit that when the situation calls for it, i beleive i would be able to kill for my survival, this is purely a safety related thing. If this time ever comes, it is going to be the people with the weapons who are in charge.
I am not crazy. Seriously.
I hope this is an interesting discussion that we can all participate in