AZ Governor candidate Hugh Kealer volunteers answers to gun rights questionnaire
The gun rights political questionnaire may be taking on a life of its own. Not only am I getting responses to inquiries from an increasing number of races, I have just had a candidate approach me and volunteer answers.
Hugh Kealer is running for governor of Arizona. Here's the Q&A:
1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?
HK: Yes, the Constitution and Bill of Rights lay out the law of the land. They list our God given rights, which are not given by the government and therefore, can not take them away. These rights are in simple terms and do not need interpreting.
2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?
HK: The law of the Constitution should be protected at all costs, from all forms of government; Federal, State, County, City, and Township. If we do not proactively protect these rights, we risk losing them all, as well as our freedom.
3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional.
HK: One example of a constitutional gun law would be not allowing those that have been adjudicated insane or suffering from mental illness and convicted felons, who have given up their civil rights, the right to bear arms. Of course, felons that did not commit violent crimes that have had their civil rights restored would also be allowed to bear arms without restrictions. This provides for the protection of our citizens and promotes the general welfare of the citizens.
4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional.
HK: Any law that hinders possessing or carrying of arms by citizens, who have not given up their civil rights or been adjudicated insane or with mental illness is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.
5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?
HK: Yes, citizens, who have not given up their civil rights or have not been adjudicated insane or suffering from mental illness, should have the right to carry concealed without a permit. Concealed Carry Permits should be optional, which I would list as recommended, only for the sense of safety. Concealed Carry Permit classes teach individuals safety and their personal liability, should they decide to draw and use their firearm.
6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?
HK: Restrictions, of any kind not listed in the previous questions, to the 2nd Amendment are a violation. All arms, even of military pattern, are allowed to be owned, possessed, and carried by law abiding citizens. Weapons of Military Pattern would be the weapons of choice for the State Militias, which are also granted under the 2nd Amendment. Safety training could be recommended, but not required.
7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Why?
HK: I oppose registration of weapons. This ends up being an infringement of the 2nd Amendment. There is no reason for registration, besides knowing who owns a weapon, how many they own, and what kind; which, I can not see one reason the government needs this information.
8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms? Why?
HK: Oppose, as I stated in questions 5 & 7, this is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.
9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed?
HK: Gun laws requiring registration, for concealed carry, and restrictions on when and where one can carry need to be repealed.
10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?
HK: Yes, I am a member of the NRA and the Arizona Citizens Defense League. I would make sure that the citizens know of all bills in the House and Senate that would be placing restrictions on their right to keep and bear arms, as well as those trying to repeal the restrictions. That way the citizens are aware of my actions.
For more info:
Learn more about Hugh Kealer from his campaign website