(forwarded to me by a team mate)
I got news this weekend that a N-SSA roundball shooting friend of mine had some rather tragic luck. He had removed a lock from a flintlock rifle and was tuning it to get proper sparks. He was priming it from a brass priming flask with a plunger type cut off valve. He would hold the lock in his left hand and trip it with his right. He would then check the flash to see how good the ignition was.
In the process of doing this a spark got into the flask and set it off. The realy bad knews was he was holding the flask in his left hand when it ignited. He suffered complete amputation of his left index finger. partial amputation of his middle finger and thumb. and his palm was burned to the point that they can't realy tell how bad the damage is until later.
He also suffered less serious burns to his right hand.
Now before you guys start off saying this guy wasnt very smart I would like to say I have shot with this young man for 20 years. He is one of the safest shooters you could ever hope to be around. So what happened then? It seems it was a momentary lapse in concentration
. He was so caught up in what he was doing he forgot about safety. Thats all it takes for an accident to happen. It can happen to anyone, regardless of the level of experience involved!
I would urge everyone to never be afraid to speak up if you see something dangerous going on; on the range or off! Sure sometimes people get a little upset when you do - but if you can head off an accident its worth it.