No, we have already been down that road for eons.
The hope of striking it rich, within a capitalistic society, is all that most citizen can cling to, as they go through a life of slavish dependence, working until they die.
Some of these worker drones may have given up the hopes of striking it rich long ago. Their hopes may be more along the lines of retiring in a one room sweat box and being able to afford some canned dog food to eat.
But the greedy Ponzi capitalists, along with the full faith and backing of the politicians, have taken that little dream away from many of the retirees as well. I often wonder how the old folks get by nowadays with 1/20th of 1 percent on money market funds and if they are lucky, maybe a whopping 1/2% in CD's.
Do you need any further proof that the bankers are in control of our politicians?
The banks get 25% on their credit cards...and we get 1/20th of 1%?
If we look at the data, we can see that only 5% to 6% of the households are making more than $250,000 per year. That doesn't make them all rich, but we can generally say $250,000 a year would be a nice income for most of us reading this.
And if one is talking millions of dollars per year in income, then the figure is just a couple percent of the households in America.
So capitalism favors 1% to 2% of the population and the other 98% end up as slaves to the capitalists.
Now, I'm not promoting communism. Even the so called selfless communist governments get weighed down with egocentric leaders. If one is selfless such as ants or bees communism works fine. It is only when human selfishness is injected into the equation that communism fails miserably.
The reason the ideal of communism fails is because imperfect humans have to apply the perfect ideals. Same goes with our imperfect democratic elected leaders.
But the problem is not so much that we elect imperfect leaders, the problem is that we have no oversight committee to change the wrongs that they do. Nor do we have punishment for them for doing such wrongs.
Just look at Bush and the rest. As soon as they leave office, what is said? "Well, they may have done something wrong...but lets just move on."
Politicians have a free reign to rape and pillage the US and Americans as they wish...because there is NO OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE nor PUNISHMENT for the evils they do.
Capitalistic greed is what fueled class conflict in times gone by. The rich control the gov and only pass legislation to benefit the rich. As such, the average person gets squeezed to the point of not being able to survive.
Sure capitalism creates jobs...but it also kills jobs.
The reason capitalism supported US jobs back in the day was because China was not open to the US markets. And India was a backwards country that had nothing to offer to the US.
Once China opened up and India advanced, businesses learned they could make tons more money exporting jobs to those countries to make things cheaper.
So why on earth would a capitalists make something in the US and break even or just make a small profit, when they can make oodles more money shipping the jobs overseas?
Socialism, in its most ideal form, puts society and social issues first.
Capitalism puts profits and greed first.
Social ethics cost money. And spending money for such things is against the capitalists religion. Capitalism is not the religion of humanity, it is the religion of greed, power and money.
Beside the jobs exporting problem for American workers, Wall Street added to it when it first learned it could make more money breaking up companies than running them The golden age of leveraged buyouts and hostile takeovers made many of Wall Street rich in the 80's and 90's. No need to build up a company, when dismantling it made quick profits.
Just as a select few made millions, the work force lost millions in future wages. So, this was class warfare at its best. A transfer of wealth from the worker to the rich...all supported and backed by the full faith and credit of our beloved gov.
But, capitalists do have some use for socialism. When they are losing money, ready to go bust, they like to socialize their loses to the taxpayer so they can keep reaping the profits as they rape the society that supports them.
Do we need a 100% socialist country?
Do we need a 100% capitalist country with no concern for social ethics?
What we need is a mix of these two...the only question is how much of each?
Socialism is what saved our country from going bust with the Wall Street debacle. Maybe we needed to go through a terrible depression and die off to clean house. But that is not the way things went down. So we must give credit where credit is due and the saving grace that kept America as well as the world going turned out to be socialism and not the free market capitalism.