Shot after opening his front door
November 24, 2011 - 1:24PM
A young man has been charged after allegedly shooting a 78-year-old man as he opened the front door of his home near Newcastle.
The 23-year-old was arrested after being found by the dog squad hiding under a house nearby about 4.30am, police said.
Police allegedly found a sawn-off shotgun under the house in Thomas Street after the attack in Croydon Street, Mayfield, about midnight.
The accused, who ABC Radio reported was known to the victim, has been charged with shooting with intent to murder and firearm offences. He was refused bail to appear in Newcastle Local Court today.
The victim, who was shot in the stomach and shoulder, is in John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition.
One neighbour described him as a quiet handyman who had lived in the area all his life.
Another neighbour said there had been disputes at the house in the past.
"People were breaking windows and things like that," he said.
In a separate incident, shots were fired into a home on Nash Street, South Penrith, about 12.25am today.
Police said there were a number of people in the home at the time but no one was injured.
Police are also investigating a shooting at the Norfolk Hotel on Cleveland Street, Redfern.
Shyr Gelber, who lives nearby, said the shooting woke her and her partner early this morning.
"It was two gunshots about 3.45. It was really loud," she said.
The hotel's landlord, Greg Margee, has denied reports that the hotel was owned by or affiliated with John Ibrahim or his family.
"The hotel is currently leased on a long-term basis to young hoteliers Mr James Wirth and James Miller," Mr Margee said.
"Owners and management are obviously concerned about this incident. [They will] co-operate with any related police investigation," he said.
Police found a number of holes in the front of the premises.
The premises was closed at the time of the shooting, police said.
No one was injured.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/shot-after...#ixzz1eblDvHGT
I know the bloke shot
elermore vale cares http://www.evcares.org.au/
took on the super mosque being built and won ...
now it looks like all the folks who organised that are targets
but the media is saying nothing