Well, it's finished and so far the patient is doing fine, but we won't know for sure until the lab tests are done...
It was actually more difficult than first imagined.
Countersinking the cap screws was the easiest. I also had to grind one of the cap screws to shorten it.
Fabricating the side brackets was the hard part. The sheet metal bracket I found was pretty old and pitted, so I cleaned it up as best I could. Then I had to flatten it on an anvil, and it came out fine, although there were hammer marks I never got completely out. FITTING it was another matter. First I had to cut it, and I held it up and scribed a line on both ends, to make it the same length as the sight base, for looks. But this was my first booboo. The ends were rounded, and already drilled with a hole that would fit the front screw, but I didn't allow for the hole size evidently, because after I cut both pieces in a small mitre box with a hack saw, BOTH were about 1/8" short!
Well, at lest they MATCHED...
THen I must have put it on, took it off, ground and filed, and squared it up, tested, and repeated about 18 times! Then it was close, so I mounted it with just the front screw and took it to the drill press.
THIS is where it got tricky! I had to drill it blind, using the sight base I had from the Pole to visualize what it looked like UNDER the "wings". If I drill too high, I might miss the sight, or not have enough metal to tap. Too low, and I may be into the barrel!
I guess I got lucky, I couldn't drill too deep because I was afraid of hitting the barrel, but I had to get it deep enough to tap, and I don't have a bottoming tap, so I needed it a little DEEPER than I intend to drive the screw.
Both sides came out OK. Then I tapped them (I'm getting better at tapping!) and tried my screws...and they were WAY too long and it would have been a pain to shorten such small screws. But then I had an idea, those 8-32 set screws I used last time...since I had also tapped the BRACKET as well as the base, they just might do the trick...and they seemed to do it.
After that, it was downhill...drilled out the hole through the top of the bracket for a 3/16' machine screw, installed it, then took out the front screw which was smaller, and enlarged that hole through the sight "ears" and the mount to match the back screw so it would look better. (THAT was a little tricky too, not much metal to work with...)
Then I put it together, and it SEEMS rock solid! I just hope my elevation is on, because there is no adjusting that mount now. MAYBE I could shim the scope if I need to...but I measured as best as I could at the range when it was "on," and got it back pretty close I think...
I even took it BACK apart and sanded and wooled the brackets as best I could, and then blued the bracket, and the bolt heads.
From 5 feet, it really doesn't look bad...up close it does kinda look a little "Polish-engineered...," and you can still see some traces of the pitting on the bracket... But I don't CARE, as long as that mount stays TIGHT!!!
The only thing I could'nt do was reinstall the little side set screws that are meant to tighten down on the BIG elevation set screws from the side...incidentally, I think THAT is what "stripped" them out, and oh well, they didn't work so well as designed...I don't think I need them, and if I do, I can always pull the brackets off and drill a big hole where the back one goes and install it THROUGH the hole...the first one's hole is partly visible in front of the wings, so I could just notch the bracket to install that one. I could't put them in FIRST, because you need a little play to get the through bolts through the brackets and mount.
I'll try and post a pic of the results...
The WORST part is when I got done, there was no beer in the fridge!
I'm hoping the one in the freezer now gets cold quickly, or I don't forget about it!
And the el cheapo Chinese $44 drill press (with vise!)from Big Lots is doing just fine! I just wish the darn MOUNT would work as well...