Originally Posted by Saskprairie
Sorry I should have been more clear on my post, the sks loads from the top and on the bottom has a lever that swings open a outer cover, which has the spring loaded magazine guide? Is there two versions of the sks, one that is detachable magazine and the other that is internal magazine. If so, i have the internal one and want the external detachable one, is there a conversion kit i can buy?
That's a regular SKS. That "outer cover" is your SKS magazine. Dissassemble the weapon and reassemple without replacing the magazine.
Now it will accept detachable mags.
The advice Angel gave is very true. It's difficult to find 30 round SKS mags that work reliably....they are out there but it's trial 'n error...most can be made to function by adjusting the lips but this may require filing etc etc.
Also...detachable SKS mags have a big extended lip that makes it less than practical to carry multiple mags in conventional pouches.
IMHO....an SKS is fine as a 10 round weapon. It loads best with 10-round stripper clips.
SKS Magazine Installation Instructions
1. MAKE SURE SKS IS UNLOADED!
2. Lock bolt open and switch the safety on.
3. Take out trigger assembly. To do so turn SKS upside down and look behind the trigger guard for a detent. With a Phillips head screwdriver insert the tip into that detent and push forward. This will release the trigger guard causing it to come out of the SKS.
4. Remove Factory 10rd. Magazine Assembly. The magazine will remove after the trigger assembly is out of the way. The magazine should just pull out easily provided the bolt is still locked back.
5. Remove the Butt Stock from Barreled Assembly. The butt stock will come out if you grab the barrel and gas tube in front of the wood stock and lift. While the SKS is upside down, with the right hand slap the Butt Stock where your cheek rest when shooting and the Barreled Assembly will separate from the Butt Stock.
6. Disassembling the SKS allows you to see how the NEW MAGAZINE mounts to your SKS.
Under the rear sight on the bottom side of your SKS is a block with a notch where the extension of the NEW MAGAZINE inserts. Once the extension is in the notch you will be able to rock the magazine into the slot in the rear of the magazine well.
7. Now put your SKS back together with your NEW MAGAZINE in place.