FOUNDED: February 9, 2001
If you prefer to make a donation by check,
send an email to Support for the mailing address.
|10-29-2011, 07:03 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Re: Rest in Peace!
THE Defence Department has confirmed the deaths of three Australian soldiers in Afghanistan - but hasn't commented on reports that they were shot by a rogue Afghan soldier.
Seven Australians were also wounded, an an Afghan interpreter was killed, it said.
The next of kin have been informed.
Defence gave no details today of the deadly incident yesterday morning, saying it was waiting for facts to be confirmed.
But reports late last night said a rogue Afghan soldier had turned his gun on his trainers.
The shooting occurred during a morning parade at Shah Wali Kot in Kandahar province, the ABC said.
NATO said two Australian diggers were killed and the third later died of his injuries after "an individual wearing an Afghan National Army uniform apparently turned his weapon on Afghan and coalition forces".
It said the shooter was also killed in the incident, but gave no further details.
General Abdul Hameed, commander of 205 Atal corps in the south, said an Afghan soldier with three years' experience had carried out the shooting.
"At around 8.30 this morning (Saturday), an ANA soldier named Darwish who had been serving as an ANA soldier for the past three years opened fire on a group of Australian military officers, killing three of them and injuring six others as well as one ANA officer," Gen Hameed said.
"The attacker was also gunned down by ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) soldiers."
It's not the first time an ANA soldier has killed an Australian soldier.
In May this year, 25-year-old Lance Corporal Andrew Gordon Jones was shot dead by a rogue ANA soldier at the Patrol Base Marshal in the Chora Valley.
Fears of infiltration within the Afghan army ranks have risen as Western backers fund and train a huge expansion of the fledgling national force ahead of the withdrawal of all foreign combat forces scheduled for 2014.
News of the Australian deaths came as a suicide car bomber in the capital Kabul struck a US-run NATO bus travelling through the south-west of the city, killing at least 17 people, including 13 US soldiers.
The death of the three diggers is the single worst incident involving Australians since June last year when three members of the Sydney-based 2nd Commando Regiment died in a helicopter crash in Kandahar province.
A total of 32 Australian soldiers have now been killed in a decade of involvement in Afghanistan.
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/auss...#ixzz1cDrGz995