Originally Posted by flannelman
My other favorite pie!! Tranter, what is treacle pudding and spotted dick?
They're English desserts.
* 115g / 4oz raisins
* 55g / 2oz currants
* 75g /3oz dark brown sugar
* Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
* 225g / 8oz self-raising flour plus extra for dusting
* 115g /4oz shredded suet
* Pinch of salt
* 55ml /2 fl oz milk
1. In a small bowl mix the raisins, currants, sugar and lemon rind for the filling.
2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl; add the suet and the salt and rub together to combine. Add a little milk and using a knife cut through the mixture, adding more milk little by little until it comes together. Finally use your hands to combine into a soft, elastic dough. Add more milk if necessary.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle approx 20cm x 30cm (8 x 12 inches).
4. Evenly spread the pudding filling mixture over the dough leaving a 1cm/ 1/2 inch border. Paint the border with a little cold water. Roll up carefully from the narrow end.
5. Soak a clean tea towel or cloth napkin in boiling water for a few minutes, squeeze to remove excess water.
6. Wrap the suet roll pudding in the napkin twisting at each end at securing with kitchen string.
7. Steam the pudding roll for 2 hours in a steamer. Alternatively, wrap the pudding suet roll in foil and bake in a hot oven (200ēC/400ēF/Gas 6) for 1 hour 30 mins.
8. Unwrap immediately, cut into thick slices and serve in warmed bowls with lashings of custard.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
A few drops of vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup (a little extra will do no harm).
With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla.
With a spatula, fold in the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter and flour a 10-inch round Bundt pan.
Pour the syrup into the pan, then spoon in the sponge batter, gently smoothing the top with a spatula.
Bake for about 30 minutes; the sponge should be golden on top.
Remove the pudding from the oven and let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Place a plate on top of the Bundt pan, then quickly but firmly turn the plate and pan upside down to release the cake onto the plate.. You may need to loosen the edges very slightly with a knife before you flip it.
Serve with hot custard.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
Heat cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat, whisk in egg yolks.