“National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012” introduced in U.S. Senate

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 56Python, Mar 27, 2012.

1. 56Python

56Python New Member

On March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.” The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822, which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.
    Please contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to cosponsor S. 2188.
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Right...I'm sure this latest propaganda in Florida will put passing that bill right at the top of every ones list of things to do.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Does it force states to recognize other's permits?

Disagree. States should be allowed to govern as they will. I believe they, by the Bill of Rights, cannot stop private gun ownership, but no one in any other state should have the right to tell mine which permits they will recognize, and which they will not.
  4. Guts3d

Guts3d Active Member

All states are forced to recognize each other's state issued driver's license, so I think that the precedent has been set.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

What will need to happen if this is passed is every state will have to be the same in the requirements part.

In Virginia all you need to do really is take a hunters safety course and pay $25 then in 30 days you get your permit.

It is much harder in other states some require 8 hours class time and a range qual with any gun you want to carry.

It doesn't force any state to do anything it just states that the cow should be treated as the dl is. I can drive In any state why can't I carry in any state.

Vlad why are you against something that would be a huge benefit to all gun owners.
  6. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

This sounds like a good Idea, but I think the unintended consquenses have not been thought out. If the federal government can get the nose in the tent and force a state to say who can carry weapons. it is not a big step for the federal government to say who can not carry weapons. It will open up federal regulations for carry requirements, which if the feds can set the rules they can be set to standards that very few can or will meet. I think the states have the right to regulate itself without federal govenrment interference. That said, I think all gun laws are unconstitutional as an infringement on the individual rights to keep and bear arms.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I seriously doubt that the unintended consequences have not been thought out. They've probably been gone over with a fine tooth comb and dismissed in favor of the overwhelming benefits of the bill. The Federal government isn't being given permission to decide who carries and who doesn't. It can only instruct the states to honor each other's permits as with driver's licenses.

And yes, there are some glaring differences between the state's requirements to get a permit and I'm not at all sure how that will play out. BUT: I also have a feeling that the latest string of asshats out there shooting people and all of the grand and glorious coverage that follows such events isn't going to help matters one bit for all things pertaining to the 2nd so it may be a moot point anyhow. One dipwad can erase years of forward progress in a heart beat, but a string of them??? Not good.
  8. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

last I checked(3-4 years ago) you were required to take an NRA approved concealed handgun safety class and the permit was ~$50.
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

No offense to any Dems here, but the fact that its sponsored by 2 Democrats already makes me suspicious. Then again I could be paranoid
  10. Jerryboy

check their background and voting record. have they voted for pro-gun legislation in the past? remember, just because someone believes that polesmokers should be allowed to marry or that ripping apart an infant before it's popped out of the mother isn't murder doesn't necessarily mean they hate guns.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  11. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Good point. I'm just naturally suspicious of anyone with a D after their name. Hadn't had time to check out their records yet
  12. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I personally think we need something like this and I hope it passes the Senate. But, I don't think it will have the "veto" proof majority it will need; because Obammy will veto it if it makes it to the WH.

I understand the "state rights" view point. But, I also feel it is the federal government's responsibility to force states to uphold MY "Constitutional" rights when "certain" states refuse to recognize them.

I look at this as something more akin to the "Emancipation Proclamation" than I do the drivers license comparison. The reason being is; "Driving" is NOT a constitutional right. But, all men have the "RIGHT" to live free; just as all men are supposed to have the "Right to bear arms"; irregardless of where they travel.

-
  13. Jerryboy

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
  14. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

This was my concern too when I first read the headline. Trojan horse legislation, practically. Though it could also further legitimize gun carry across the nation.

I don't know. Any experts in the house? :p
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

we have to email all the big shots senators etc and let them know we want it