03 Springfield action.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by redhawk44, Oct 21, 2003.

1. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

I have a high numbered action for an 03 Springfield that has a Peterson slot in the side of it. It seems to be all original except that the floor plate has been ground off tpaered on the back so that the bolt will close without depressing it (the floorplate).

I have been saving it to build a rifle on, but now I think I would be better off selling it and starting with a commercial action.

Does anyone here have an idea as to the value of this action?
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

I have no idea Redhawk44...I've always been interested in the "Pederson" device, but have never taken the plunge! Post it up for "Best Offer" and see what happens!...;)
  3. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Hawk, how much for the 03 action. I prsume it is a complete receiver, bolt etc??:cool:
  4. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

At this point, I really do not know. I am trying to ascertain it's value before selling it.

Yes, it is complete with trigger guard, bolt, magazine and ready for a stock and barrel.
  5. rick morris

rick morris New Member

pLACE SOME PIC ON YOUR PAGE AND I WILL MAKE A OFFER I AM INTRESTED IN MAKING A 308 FOR VARMETS I HAVE A 22-250 I MADE OUT OF A 03 RECEIVER I LOVE IT .i GAVE 100.00 FOR THE FIRST ONE BUT IT WAS A COUPLE YEARS AGO
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Those 03 and 03-A3 Pederson actions were very nice to use for build-up. Hell-for-stout and smooth as silk boxers. Grinding the follower was a very common thing and some of the early DCMP ones came from military armories already ground. I can't think of a commercial action I would prefer, unless it would be an FN Mauser of '50s era.

Pops
  7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    One correction Pops, if I may.

There were no 03A3's made with the ejection port for the Pederson Device. The 03's with that feature are called the Mark I, and are a bit rare, but not nearly as rare as the Pederson Device itself. The last I heard those were selling in the range of $20,000 to $ 25,000 each.

Your right though, '03 actions of any model are fantastic for building on. I've been saving an unused '03 barrel, still wrapped in the paper, waiting for a good action for rebuild.