$1 coins - again

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by GunnyGene, Nov 30, 2012.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

The mint is pushing 1 dollar coins again. Aluminum, etc. Might as well make them out of plastic. Save even more in production costs. :bleh:

2. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I think if they do re-introduce the dollar coin that it be the size of the old 50 cent piece and be made of silver. I would love to find a bunch of those with my metal detector. It would make the hobby more enjoyable, but I still like the oldies but goodies.;):confused::D
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I do love the geniuses that explain why they don't work.

Dimes, nickels and quarters are carried because they work in coke machines. They used to have half-dollars. People quit carrying them. Why? Coke machines wouldn't take 'em. They keep coming out with these dollar coins. I can't put it in a coke machine. I don't want it.

They say they made several billion Presidential Dollars, but they are still in the Federal Reserve? I've never received one. Not at a store, not at a bank, nowhere. Maybe if they would pass them out, they would get used.

Before they are accepted in this country, they need to redesign cash-register money drawers so there is a place to put them. Drawers have slots for 1s, 5s, 10s and 20s. You get paid with a 2, 50 or 100 and you can put it under the tray. Kinda aggravating, but it works. But the coin section has spots for pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. If you get a half or a dollar, where the hell you gonna put it? Can't stick it under the money tray - coins take up too much room. Then they need to make all vending machines accept them. Since the register redesign and the vending machine redesign would both cost an extreme amount of money, it's not going to happen.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The mint is stopping production of .01 and .05 coins next year -
    Prices will all be rounded to the nearest dime.

That might solve the cash drawer problem, once the smaller coins are out of circulation -
  5. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Then we'll also need to round sales taxes to the nearest dime.
  6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Did you save an of the "Susie B" dollar coins from the last time the g'ment tried this crap ?
  7. racerham

racerham Member

That's pretty much the attitude Washington has always shown - We don't know what's good for us... And heck, 4.4 billion over 30 years? why, that's a whopping 146.6 mil per year! That's sure to help out with entitlement programs...

Personally, I like the dollar coin. It's quite the novelty!
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

All the vending machines at work take them. They even give change for ones, fives, tens and twenties. They give change in paper unless the paper runs out. Then they give change in dollar coins. No fun toting 19 bucks worth of them in your pocket. They also stock the machines with Susan B's and Sacajawea's.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't carry cash unless I intend to make a purchase from an individual in the very near term. Usually, that means gun shows and Craigslist purchases.

It's just not convenient. I have a debit card, and I will use that whenever I get the chance. So to me, paper or coin doesn't make a difference. Plastic whenever possible.
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I did and they are still worth a dollar !
  11. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

Where this is headed (Germany post WW I and more recently Zimbabwe---which was Rhodesia when the white people ran it):

[​IMG]
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Is it it bad that when I look at that bill I say 100 billion dollars like Dr Evil?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm.

So, an item that used to cost 23 cents would round down to 20 cents.
    But the 2 cents sales tax on it, making it 25 cents, will now make it round up to 30 cents, changing the effective tax rate on that item from 8% (2 cents on 23) to 50% (10 cents on 20).

Compare the the OTHER way, where a 22 cent item would round down to 20, and the 2 cent sales tax on it would make it 24 cents, and still round it down to 20, making the change in effective tax rate from 8% to 0%.

Kinda looks to me like a change from 8% to 50% brings in more money than a reduction from 8% to 0% loses.

I think I am starting to understand the drive to do this - - -
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Why keep dimes? I still don't understand why dimes were ever made in the first place. Same thing as the $10 bill. Doesn't really create much convenience for the extra expense of making the things.
  15. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

If they do away with $1 bills it will just build my "mad money" pot faster.
    I don't carry change for more than a day. When I get home in the evening all my change goes into a pot. When it reaches $100 or so, I take it out and spend it on something foolish. Adding the $1 coins will just build it up sooner. (Maybe I should increase the take-out time to $200??;))
  16. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

It worked so great the last time ! I throw all my change on my floor of my car and empty it when it's full. ! I hate change !
  17. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

canada has the right idea, folding money is made of recycled plastic, lasts forever and harder to fake
  18. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

UK has replaced £1 notes with coins in the last 10 years or so. It took a while but now I no longer see £1 notes. The coins spend just as fast, if not faster than the paper.
  19. runes

runes Member

The dollar is only worth 15 or 20 cents any way. Why not be a coin.
  20. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I like the coins, and I've run into a lot of vending machines that accept the gold dollars and Susie B ones as well.

They don't get all butt-sweaty like the dollar bills in my wallet do...:eek: