Favorite make of tactical folder??

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 favorite tactical folder?

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  southernshooter 
G
#1 ·
Just checking.

Does anyone have a favorite all time first choice tactical folder in two categories:
1] Every day in the pocket carry

or

2] On the belt carry

#3 ·
Tactical is a 'loaded' word. My daily companion is a Paul Zinsmeister, single blade, non-locking, knife, which I have carried, for over ten years; the 'Ken Onion' knife,by Benchmade,is my 'quick employment, locker' of choice.
A knife is a very personal tool, and style/shape is dictated by purpose, and use; the 'drop point' shape seems to give most utility, to a 'working' knife, while the 'asisted opening' feature, of the 'onion', "multi-task", knife, offers a defensive advantage.
Comments?

#5 ·
Stash, you asked for comments -

I carry a swiss army knife for general "precision" cutting tasks along with all the other tools and gadgets. It has two drop point blades giving good control for typical tasks this knife is asked to do.

The knife that gets the most use is the Benchmade CQC. Its a "hard use" knife. One handed opening - a plus for obvious reasons. Its tough and thick and gets used for scraping, prying, poking, hell its even a measuring stick from time to time. As a defensive tool, its long enough to get the job done and thick enough to matter.

I agree that knives (like guns) serve a purpose. Buy the one that fits the most needs - or buy more than one that is specialized.

These days I no longer have to carry the Gerber MKII or the tomahawk....

#7 ·
A Ken Onion designed Kershaw......it's the only one I got.

#9 · (Edited)
I like Cold Steel products for tactical folders. Their ideas about what a folder should be coincide with mine. As somebody said, buy the knife that is good for as many things as possible. And I would emphasize, get a knife that will hold up to abuse if it's going to be the tactical edged weapon you hope you never need.

I've been carrying a 4" clip pointed Voyager for a while, but I just got myself one of the 5" 'Gunsite' Cold Steel folders (they come in 4" length also). It's a step up from some other Cold Steel knives in that the blade is AUS 8A stainless and honed to a near-scalpel edge. I cut myself twice the first day while getting used to it, just by bumping the edge while closing the blade. I removed the factory clip and installed one via the lanyard hole for left-handed wear, and reversed the thumb stud. It disappears into the corner of my front pocket just as well as the 4" Voyager did.

Cold Steel makes their folders extremely strong, and torture tests them by hanging 100-pound weights from them, having 200-pound men do pull-ups from them, whacking through hundreds of lengths of free-hanging anchor rope and oriental straw poles, and so forth. Their "More Proof" DVD is hard to quarrel with, when one is looking for a no-nonsense tactical folder at a reasonable price.

But to each his own. I'm sure I'll try the higher-priced tacticals eventually to see if I find one that I like even better.

#10 ·
Second Offeror`s opinion. While I did carry the five inch GS, I have retired it in favor of the four inch model. After years of over priced folders, I have based my buying on just a few things. Balance-Lock strength-Blade strength/sharpness. Care little for fancy aircraft aluminum handles/fancy G-Scale and the such which add absolutely nothing to fuction. Ten year plus user of Cold Steel Products

LTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.