#1 favorite tactical folder?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Patriot, Oct 6, 2005.

?

Favorite make of tactical folder??

Poll closed Oct 21, 2005.
  1. Benchmade

20.0%
  2. CRKT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kershaw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patriot

Patriot Guest

Just checking.

Does anyone have a favorite all time first choice tactical folder in two categories:
    1] Every day in the pocket carry

or

2] On the belt carry
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Everday carry - Benchmade clone of Emerson's CQC. Had it for years. Benchmade and Emerson had a falling out. Prolly get an Emerson next time, if this tank ever wears out.
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Tactical is a 'loaded' word. My daily companion is a Paul Zinsmeister, single blade, non-locking, knife, which I have carried, for over ten years; the 'Ken Onion' knife,by Benchmade,is my 'quick employment, locker' of choice.
    A knife is a very personal tool, and style/shape is dictated by purpose, and use; the 'drop point' shape seems to give most utility, to a 'working' knife, while the 'asisted opening' feature, of the 'onion', "multi-task", knife, offers a defensive advantage.
    Comments?
  4. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Call me cheap, but a Gerber Gator with a semi-serrated blade works fine for me.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Stash, you asked for comments -

I carry a swiss army knife for general "precision" cutting tasks along with all the other tools and gadgets. It has two drop point blades giving good control for typical tasks this knife is asked to do.

The knife that gets the most use is the Benchmade CQC. Its a "hard use" knife. One handed opening - a plus for obvious reasons. Its tough and thick and gets used for scraping, prying, poking, hell its even a measuring stick from time to time. As a defensive tool, its long enough to get the job done and thick enough to matter.

I agree that knives (like guns) serve a purpose. Buy the one that fits the most needs - or buy more than one that is specialized.

These days I no longer have to carry the Gerber MKII or the tomahawk....
  6. navajo

navajo New Member

My edc is one of six custom balisongs.
    A bali is nothing more than an unconventional folding knife thats lots of fun when not cutting sometning.
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

A Ken Onion designed Kershaw......it's the only one I got.
  8. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

Paragon. Good knife for the money.
  9. offeror

offeror New Member

I like Cold Steel products for tactical folders. Their ideas about what a folder should be coincide with mine. As somebody said, buy the knife that is good for as many things as possible. And I would emphasize, get a knife that will hold up to abuse if it's going to be the tactical edged weapon you hope you never need.

I've been carrying a 4" clip pointed Voyager for a while, but I just got myself one of the 5" 'Gunsite' Cold Steel folders (they come in 4" length also). It's a step up from some other Cold Steel knives in that the blade is AUS 8A stainless and honed to a near-scalpel edge. I cut myself twice the first day while getting used to it, just by bumping the edge while closing the blade. I removed the factory clip and installed one via the lanyard hole for left-handed wear, and reversed the thumb stud. It disappears into the corner of my front pocket just as well as the 4" Voyager did.

Cold Steel makes their folders extremely strong, and torture tests them by hanging 100-pound weights from them, having 200-pound men do pull-ups from them, whacking through hundreds of lengths of free-hanging anchor rope and oriental straw poles, and so forth. Their "More Proof" DVD is hard to quarrel with, when one is looking for a no-nonsense tactical folder at a reasonable price.

But to each his own. I'm sure I'll try the higher-priced tacticals eventually to see if I find one that I like even better.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Second Offeror`s opinion. While I did carry the five inch GS, I have retired it in favor of the four inch model. After years of over priced folders, I have based my buying on just a few things. Balance-Lock strength-Blade strength/sharpness. Care little for fancy aircraft aluminum handles/fancy G-Scale and the such which add absolutely nothing to fuction. Ten year plus user of Cold Steel Products

LTS
  11. DemonDesert

DemonDesert New Member

I'm a Cold Steel man, too--5" Voyager. They are great blades, and the prices are quite affordable.
  12. rnshooter

rnshooter New Member

it's got to be benchmade...i have two folders and a benchmade neck knife, which i recently got. anyone have one of these? it is great!

be safe
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Smith and Wesson double blade serrated on one blade non serrated on the other makes a good work knife and a good looking clip knife