10/22 16" bull barrel and hogue stock $99

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

hutch1510
    (2/9/03 11:14:23 am)
    Reply 10/22 16" bull barrel and hogue stock $99
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    anybody see this deal in the shotgun news??? 16' bull barrel and th stock for $99...i like the 16' inch barrel and will edit the post with the manufacturers name....how about the hogue stock? any good or bad experiences with it??? will be buying a 10/22 feb. 24 to make this gun....thanks

hutch1510
    (2/9/03 11:29:46 am)
    Reply ok found it....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it is a Clerke/US Ordnance Match grade bull barrel forr the 10/22 and comes with the hogue rubber 10/22 stock.... anyone know if these barrels are good in th 16' lengh.... i definatly want 16' inch barrel and the price is right.... i will be buying a brand new gun to make it out of... i have an old steel tube redfield 6X18 with AO i will be mounting.... should i put the recoil buffer??? and who makes the best scope mounts??? will be building shortly so any help is appreciated... i have a KIMBER gov't single shot and now want a semi.... sure could use some opinions as to stock, the barrel i mentioned, recoil buffer, and scope mount....many thanks for the help....

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 5:24:51 pm)
    Reply Re: ok found it....
    Welcome to the board, Hutch1510 -

I'm not real sure how to answer all the questions you have and will leave that to our resident 10/22 expert, LikeToShoot.

I have the 10/22 in the factory heavy barrel with laminate stock. Acquired a Butler Creek carbon fiber bbl with the SS insert and match chamber and their synthetic stock. Found the combination too light for anything but toting around in the field for hunting. The accuracy wasn't there for range work, as compared to the original factory setup.

I've seen these actions that have been modified with almost every aftermarket giz-whiz that's available and adding up costs approaching 1K bills - still not that much more accurate than my factory rifle.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 9:59:40 pm)
    hogue rubber 10/22 stock.... First..it does not impress me and never has, simply does not feel right; and cheezy looking to boot. The barrel, not bad---but I don`t care for short barrels(just me. Some claim less barrel time.....less time off the target, may have some claim......but only in free style shooting and even then---I will still take the longer and the weight. The lightweight rigs...."carbon fiber" are very light in the field for carry.....but a braced shot is required, at least by me-----very shakey; but a dream to carry all day for plinking or hunting. You have to decide the exact choice to make or do as I did....make no choice. Build one for each need, fun too. I use several scope mounts, but a solid steel "billet" would be the best for an all out target rifle/with hex head fasteners.

LTS

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/9/03 10:19:17 pm)
    LTS, Well put.

hutch1510
    (2/9/03 11:50:38 pm)
    Reply my main concern was quality...
    first off, thank you foe the responses.... my main concern was with the quality of these barrels... i know i want the 16" ... but was concerned the quality may be lacking.... as for the hogue... yes i can understand some not liking the feel, just wanted to make sure some people did'nt have any problems with them affecting accuracy.... i will be ordering one of the set-ups i just mentioned.... have a dig. camera also and will post pic's along with accuracy reports soon as i get home early march....appreciate the help.... got a mossberg 44 need to shoot also... also have a jager AK 22 cal along with the jager M-16, and the M1 carbine version made in germany and a mossberg LSB... i love 22's cheap to shoot!!!! i think i will be a regular at tjis forum now that i found it.... more opinions as to the CLERKE barrel would be appreciated, as well as opinions to the 10/22 buffer... thanks again....

hutch1510
    (2/9/03 11:55:07 pm)
    Reply whoops meant CLERKE barrel
    i meant this barrel

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/03 7:25:47 am)
    Reply Re: whoops meant CLERKE barrel
    CLERKE barrels are fine......so many out there-it`s now just what you like and really nothing more. As to the buffer "YES!" if you plan on shooting it a lot, it will not only save the receiver, but will make it run much smooth-er.

LTS

stuporman
    (2/12/03 12:50:42 am)
    Reply Ruger Hogue stock...
    I have a 10/22 with Hogue stock and a Butler Creek Fluted barrel with the Blue teflon coating.

Two tone receiver finish and diamond etching on the slide offset the reaaaalllly black stock.
    Nice, tactile feel to the stock, and the 16" barrel is not toooo front heavy for the light stock.

To each his own, I guess.
    Never underestimate the power of a trigger job, though.
    Almost any stock gun could use a little polishing or a nicer trigger.

hutch1510
    (2/12/03 8:31:37 am)
    Reply cool...
    yes eventually i will probably change out some trigger components,,, i will start though with the recoil buffer, the 16' clerke barrel and hogue stock....appreciate the feeback... do most of you guys use ruger rings??? the will have to be tall as the scope is a rather large redfield...