10/22 Butler Breek Carbon Fiber Barrels ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Larry in SD
    (4/7/02 2:03:15 pm)
    Reply 10/22 Butler Breek Carbon Fiber Barrels ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys, I am new here, and would like a couple of questions answered. Currently I am shooting a Ruger K77/22VBZ, and love it, but have been thinking of adding a 10/22 to the collection. My only experience with 10/22's was more than 20 years ago, and just shot them as is at that time. Needless to say I was not too impressed with them, but all of that has changed now-a-days with all of the accessories available.

I don't know how much I want to modify the 10/22 (should I decide to get one), but probably at the least will change the Barrel, Stock, and do some work on the Trigger.

Does anyone have any experience with the 18" Butler Breek Carbon Fiber barrels ? How do you like it, what's the accuracy like, and how does it's weight compare to an original Ruger slender carbine barrel ? I have read on another forum that these barrels are junk, and that some have been bent, and some just plain were not accurate.

I have been looking at a used Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter with the Walnut Stock. How tough is it to open up the barrel channel on this one to accept the larger diameter bull barrel.

Thanks

Larry

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/7/02 2:17:58 pm)
    Reply Re: 10/22 Butler Breek Carbon Fiber Barrels ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Larry, Welcome to TFF. What part of SD are you in? I live in the south eastern part of the state.

You came to the right place to ask your question. I am not a Ruger guy so I cannot help you but we have a couple experts on your question who will be along with an answer

Larry in SD
    (4/7/02 5:00:35 pm)
    I am up in the extreme northeastern corner of the state, Rosholt. Rosholt is located about 5 miles from the North Dakota border, and 7 miles from the Minnesota border. Small rural community, population 416. I was born and raised here, and will probably die here too, hopefully not too soon.

Later

Larry

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 6:17:53 pm)
    I have had nothing but excellent results with Butler Creek barrels. Carbon Fiber, Steel and Stainless. Never heard them refered to as crap, though. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/7/02 6:46:14 pm)
    I am down by Yankton, a small town called Volin pop. 200. Lived here since I was about 10. Plan on dieing here.

I do believe you are nieghbors with one of our mods. A freindly guy who goes by the handle of Wyoming Swede.

GeoNLR
    (4/8/02 9:39:47 am)
    Well when I first built my 10/22 falling plate gun I started with the Butler Creek stuff. I got the standard bull barrel with stock combo. The first one I got in wall all rusted inside the tube packed from the factory. It shot about 5 mins(5" groups @ 100yards) with the best ammo and averaged around 6". I sent it back and got a better looking but not better shooting barrel. I returned it and got a Adams and Bennett from midwayusa.com. Love the barrel. Took like 1,000 rounds to season it where the first cold shot did not stray but now it's perfect. Below is my gun.

Hogue over molded stock
    Adams and Bennett Barrels
    Extended mag release
    "Rock and Roll" (1 handed operation to load)
    Bolt Buffer
    Target Hammer
    Tit claw extractor
    Leupold scope base and rings
    BSA 6x24 Contender scope

I set all this up including the cost of the gun for $410. That was purchasing everything new. I know you can get a cheaper scope mount but I have had good luck with the leupold. I shoot $.75 per box ammo from wal-mart and my gun has out shoot guns in the $2,000 range. I once had a 12 yr old girl shoot a 43 out of a possible 50 in a youth falling plate match (12 targets at 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters a 2 point bonus)with out ever having fired my gun before. Not the best in the world, but this set up works for me.

George

My 2c = Stay away from the Butler Creek stuff. If you have never been exposed to anything else it seem ok but there is better out the r for less. Go to midwayusa.com and check out the combos, I think I got both the hogue stock and A

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/8/02 10:01:28 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: 10/22 Butler Breek Carbon Fiber Barrels ?
    Welcome Aboard GeoNLR!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/8/02 12:13:13 pm)
    Welcome GeoNLR, sorry to hear you`ve had such bad experience`s with Butler Creek. I have had good luck with them for over ten years, now. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

GeoNLR
    (4/8/02 1:12:09 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome. Hind site would keep me from posting anything negative about Butler Creek in general rather than just stating the facts of my delima. I read on some other posts about "breaking them in correctly" I asure you I did not do that. haha. I just know that the two barells I tested did not cut the mustard. My distrubiter (EA Brown) was more than happy to exchange / refund my purchases so I was no worse for the wear.

Thanks again,

George

Larry in SD
    (4/9/02 8:31:44 am)
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Larry

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/9/02 5:18:40 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: 10/22 Butler Breek Carbon Fiber Barrels ?
    Welcome aboard to you too Larry in SD!

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/9/02 7:57:36 pm)
    Hiya' Larry in SD, and Welcome. I guess from what I've been told, Buttler Creek is the low-end product. I personally took the advice of Shoother45 and chose the Green Mountain barrel for my project 10-22.
    In a earlier post, I listed what I've done to mine. I have no complaints. Matter of fact, mine is the nicest project rifle I've seen posted yet.

BG... eat you heart out...