1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

10/22 extended round clip

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by WilkieWashington, Jul 6, 2009.

1. WilkieWashington

WilkieWashington New Member

I'm looking for a very reliable (I know, it's rimfire, so it'll never be 100%) extended clip for my Ruger 10/22. The factory rotary clips work awesomely, but I'm looking for something a bit more... absurd? Ridiculous? No-reason-at-all-but-sheer-sh_t-eating-grin-fun? Say, 50-100 rounds?

I know there are a bunch of manufacturers, but I've read the reviews, and they're lukewarm at best. Is there one out there that will actually do a decent job? I'm looking to empty the full clip at least 9 times out of 10, prefereably 95-98% reliability, assuming good ammunition. If I get a misfeed, I'll deal, but I don't want to spend my life on the range line playing with this thing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

W
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The only mags for my 10/22s that I've ever had good luck with besides the original Ruger ones are these:http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=310909

Never a failure that I can remember. They stack the cases in a straight stack & I think that makes the rimfires feed better. Only 25 rounds but they seem to be failsafe & I have had problems with other mags & drums that double stack the rounds etc. With the 25 rounds they are about as long as I would like. Better for shooting while standing (rabbit hunting:)) than bench shooting.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

When my grandpa bought his he got a 30 rnd clip with his. I will post a pic when I go over there later this week.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yep, the Butler Creek mags are for the most part very good. The Hot Lips (plastic feed lips) mags I bought that were made before their 1994 ban worked perfectly. I made the mistake of buying some Steel Lips Butler Creek mags just after the sunset ban of 2004 and they WERE TERRIBLE!!!!! Obviously, they had a molding difference that wasn't passed from 1994 to 2004 and it caused the rims to stick on a ledge in the magazine. I took a Dremel to them and fixed them but they work flawlessly now. I think I should have followed the old rule of "don't buy ANYTHING in its first production year". I would only hope that they've found this problem and fixed it since 2004. I believe the problem stems from a 10 year production hiatus caused by the Clinton Gun Ban.

I've NEVER had any luck with Eagle magazines. I sent 3 of them back once because NONE of them would feed correctly. I've also had one of their 50 rd. magazines and it was also terrible.
  5. BigCheeseStick

BigCheeseStick New Member

I've got a bunch of the bannana clips for my 10/22's. After carrying the guns in the woods a few times I've quit using all of them and switched back to factory mag.'s. The bannana clips ALL fed fine, no problems there. But all my 10/22's seem to balance right under the clip. Where you will be holding the gun most of your time in the woods. Doesnt sound like a big deal? Wait till you spend a few days hunting. Be carefull about getting extended magazine releases for this same problem. When you carry the gun one handed (using the other hand to push brush out of the way, hold GPS, whatever) its WAY to easy to bump the extended magazine releases and POP! Out goes you magazine into the only mud puddle within 5 miles. Wanna talk about feed problems?
  6. WilkieWashington

WilkieWashington New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, I really appreciate it.

W