10/22 factory mag

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Islandboy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

I've got at least 6 Ruger 10/22 10rd mags, and a few Butler creek with Metal feed plates but the orig. mag that came with has gone soft, it won't feed the last 3-5 rounds, the push plate(?) just hangs all sad a little short.
    Any quick advice on Rebuild being worth doing ?
    It ain't dirty or rusty(it's bakalite or hard plastic)
    Any quick instruct on take apart?
    It's like an 1980-81 modeland was my only mag for awhile.
    Thanks guys
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Are you really that cheap??
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Well, my first thought would be that the last time the mag was disassembled for cleaning the spring got one too few turns to tension it. BUT...I've had a few 10/22 and 77/22 mags get weak-springed as well. It might just be full of crud though too...

You could try winding another 1/3-turn into the spring...but it's probably already fatigued and this will only stretch it's lifespan for a short while.

To disassemble a Ruger rotary mag, you need to remove the allen-head bolt that runs through the center of the mag (fore-and-aft). Once the bolt is removed from the mag, lift the endplate away from the mag body. Be careful as it should be under some tension. You'll also need to hold the steel feed lip block in place as you remove the endcap since the follower should be pressing against it.

The coil spring inside should be hooked to the endplate on one end and to the follower on the other.

Here's a page I found via a quick google search that outlines dis- & re-assembly pretty well.
    http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd write Ruger and tell them, and ask their advice, about replacing springs or disassembling for cleaning, or whatever. Odds are pretty good they'd send you a new magazine. Worth a shot.

And, yes, I'm that cheap.
  5. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Not cheap, just adverse to throwing something good away if all it would take is a little fixin'

Those clips are inexpensive, but, sometimes hard to find.
    Even the metal Butler creek's are a case of timing in any given store.