10 gauge shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Mar 3, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Does anyone here own one or shot one? My uncle who is a gun collector has 2 of them that are double barreled. I never got a chance to shoot them. How is the recoil on them compared to a 12 gauge?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Through the years I have owned several 10 gauge shot guns, at present I have two double barreled guns. One is a Fox and the other is a Belgium import that was made about 1890, both have damascus barrels. The recoil is not much different than a twelve gauge unless you step up to the 3.5" magnum. However most of those guns are so heavy that they are not bad on recoil. Ithica use to make an auto loading 3.5 magnum and it was a very well made gun but huge in size, I have owned one of those but used it very little.

The worst kicking shotgun I ever shot was a single barrel 12 gauge that as I recall was an H&R or a Stevens and it was no fun.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Yeah I have a New England Firearms Single Shot 12 gauge. It does kick pretty good but just about all 12 ga. shotguns do. Isnt New England Firearms part of H&R? I seen a document in the box when I bought a Marlin 22 Magnum Rifle last year
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    H&R model 176 with the 36" barrel. so much fun to shoot it should be illegal. Can't afford to shoot it as much as I would like to so I just bought a press so I could load for it. Nothing says I love you like a load of #3 shot at 60 yards. :D
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I with you on that one Ron, sept mine is a single 12 gauge Winchester.
    I know everytime I go to shoot it I'm headed for a headache afterwards.
    And no, I dont shoot it that often. ;)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

10 ga 3.5" is very close in recoil to 12 ga 3.5"
  7. Shep

Shep Member

8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Shep! I bet that packs a punch being single and light.
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Using heavier powder charges and more weight in shot in my BP 10ga double than in any of my BP 12ga dbls, it does recoil more but not objectionably so. The slight difference in weight between the 10 & 12ga dbl shotguns doesn't mask a difference in recoil.
    There is a difference in recoil between my BP 12ga dbls and the BP 12 singles as well but not really all that pronounced.
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Browning Invector BPS 10 guage 3.5" resently refinished for a friend but wasn't able to make it out to the range for test firing before returning it.:(

Attached Files:

11. Willy McCoy

Willy McCoy New Member

Years ago I had a H&R 10 gauge single shot. Wish I still had it for some perverse reason.
  12. Munch

Munch Member

I was introduced to friends grandfather years ago that had an extensive collection. Among that was a 10ga pistol, he would never allow it to be fired, but did say it was a mean little thing.
    You've got a nice shotgun there, enjoy it!
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I remember the old Ithica Roadblocker auto loader 10 ga.
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

My model 12 kills me. Shot clys for three hours once nd I couldn't lift my right arm for 2 days...