100 Yard rimfire match in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Joe Haller, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan & Mission, Texas
    We had our monthly 25 & 50 yard matches last Sunday here in Sault Ste. Marie. 20 shooters in the match. Scores to count in the July E-Mail Match.

Six of us gave that 100 yard target a shot: Well, OK 10 shots. The course of fire I suggested was 10 shots on the NRA/WalMart 100 yard target at 100 yards.

I got some pictures to show you: Soon as I load them into the computer. No scan of the targets. Just pictures of 5 of the 6 shooters with their 100 yard target. My grandson, Chris left the range before we took the pictures. Chris is 13 years old, and he was the first to shoot at 100. He got a 99-6x. The rest of us had to play catchup.

Ron Cross, who is about 4 times as old as Chris, ALWAYS seems to get beat by Chris in the 25 yard matches, Ron tried the 100 and got a 96-2x. He tried again and shot 98-3x. Shot a third time and got 99-2x. Then he gave up. Scott Hauswith shot a 99-5x and his wife Lorrie got a 93-1x. All I could do was a 98-3x.

We all had trouble seeing shots in the black even with a 20 power spotting scope. How do you make sight corrections when you can't see where you are hitting.

Well: there was one smart guy on the range. Don Buckbee from Grayling Michigan had a trick up his sleeve. He didn't do so hot on his first try. Then he put a white piece of paper over his sighter target for his second try. He could see where the shots were hitting!

Now: Don lives in Michigan's Lower Peninsula and must cross over the 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge to get to Sault Ste. Marie. We call him and all them other Lower Michigan guys "Trolls" cuz da live below da bridge. Don don't look like yer average Troll. He don't have little shot legs, he don't have green skin and he don't have a wart on the end of his nose. I'm not sure, but I think he always tries to catch dem little billie goats when he comes up and over da bridge.

Anyway: My point is, he must be smarter than the average Troll and probably smarter than us Yoopers too. When we shoot that 100 yard target next month I'm gonna sight in on white paper!

Why am I so excited about this? Don beat my grandson, Chris by ONE X.
    99-7x to 99-6x.

Hold tight: I'll try to have those pictures up soon.

Joe
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Joe, I wish now i'd have posted my last 100 yd. targets!...I'm gunna learn from this...and post all of 'em (good or bad)...Post up your pic's when ya can!...[​IMG]
  3. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Pictures from the Sault Ste. Marie Shoot.

Here are some pictures with scores and equipment used in the 100 yard match at our July 13th match here in Sault Ste. Marie. We had 20 shooters. I counted 21 but seems one of the new shooters didn’t turn in his targets and left the range quietly. After shooting 25 and 50 yard matches, six of us were game for a 100 yard match.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    99-6x Chris Haller. Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (Age 13)
    Winchester 52C. Simmons 6-20X 44mm. Wolf Match Target Ammo.
    Cowan front rest. Rabbit ear rear rest.
    Chris was the first to shoot at 100. He asked me how many clicks up: I said, “52 on that 1/8 minute scope”. He did good. Don’t have a picture of him with his target, as he left the range early with his grandmother.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  4. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Scott

99-5x Scott Hauswith. Rudyard, Michigan.
    Kimber M-82 US. Redfield 16X. Eley Practice.
    Rests? I think he had a Caswell front with rabbit ear rear bag.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

5. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Ron

99-4x Ron Cross. Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
    Remington M-37. Unertl 20X. CCI Standard.
    Front rest: A block of wood with a big white sandbag on top. Rear rest: Another plain flat sandbag.
    Ron gave up trying to beat Chris after three tries. Our rules allow four tries at each range with the best score to count.

Attached Files:

6. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Joe

98-3x Joe Haller Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    Russian Biathlon Basic. BSA 6-24x Platinum. Wolf Match Target.
    Hart front rest with a Fudd top. Bunny ear rear bag.
    This rifle was shooting real poor until this match. I got about 500 rounds through it now, and I think it has promise. Or, maybe it was that new Fudd top that made the difference?

Attached Files:

7. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Lorrie

94-2x Lorrie Hauswith. Rudyard, Michigan
    Winchester M-75. BSA 24X. Wolf Match Target.
    Stock rifle. Used a Bull's Bag - Don't like it, but will practice before making a final decision.

Attached Files:

8. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Don

So then: As the match was about to end, this Troll that lives BELOW the bridge in Lower Michigan asks to shoot at 100 yards. I should say right here that we give each shooter two 100 yards targets. They use the left target for sighting in and the right target for record. Bullet holes in the black are REAL hard to see.
    Don showed us that at least one Troll is smarter than us Yooper Shooters. After he saw he couldn’t see the shot holes on hisSighter target: He did some guesstamating, and shot a poor score. Then on his 2nd try, he put a piece of white paper over his sighter target, and did a proper zero.

And here is the WINNER. Good shooting Don. Just wait ‘till next month when we ALL have a white sighter target. Should we tell Chris he can’t use a white sighter?
    99-7x Donald Buckbee. Grayling, Michigan
    Walther U.I.T. Leupold 20X. Lapua Scor Max.
    Boyd stock.
    Hart front & Bald Eagle rabbit ear rear rests.

Attached Files:

9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks for sharing Joe! I'll shoot again saturday, and see where I fit in with the rest of these "bonafide" shooter's...;)
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Joe, Here is my 100 yd, entry using...a Ruger 10/22, Simmons 3x9x50 and Remington "Golden Bullets"...[​IMG]

Attached Files: