1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1000 yard shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scm, Mar 16, 2004.

1. scm

scm New Member

I'm looking for information on how to set up a 1000 yard match. It's actually going to be quite informal but since I've never been to a regulated match I don't know how to set one up. How big are the targets and what type are they? There will probably be targets set up all the way out to 1000 yards. Do the targets stay the same all the way out? I would like it to be precise and helpful to all those that attend. Anyone will be invited as it will be a good way to meet other avid shooters in the area. I would welcome any info or suggestions.
    Thanks.:)
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Welcome to our forums. Have you thought about contacting the NRA about options?
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, scm!

Check out our Competition Shooting Forum on down the page. There's a member named Joe Haller who is very involved in matches in his area; I'll bet he could give you some tips.

Attached Files:

4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

5. scm

scm New Member

Thank you for the welcome and the replies. They are very helpful and have given me a starting point. There are a lot of things I hadn't thought of. When things get competitive on the firing line I better have my ducks in a row.
    Thanks all, I look forward to hanging around.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to THE forum, scm. NRA has the "official" rules for 1000yd shooting, but there are other sites out there, too.

Since you are in Idaho, you might think about attending The Firearms Forum's Great Northwest Memorial Day Cannon and Washin' Machine Shoot in Pulman, WA this year. Dig around on the GD forum in last may thru July and you will find info on last year's shoot. I'll go find the latest notice and bring it back to the top for you.

Pops
  7. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Hello newbie.

Pull up a stump next to the fire and chat some more. Tell us about \that fancy shootin' iron of yours that'll hit what yer aimin' at way down range at 1000 yards.

ISB
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  8. scm

scm New Member

I'm finding that I understand guns more than I do net forums. armedandsafe, I looked for the info on the Oregon shoots but I don't know enough to actually find it. I might need a little more help, but it does sound like a ton of fun.
    As far as the shooting irons that I like to play around with, I have two that I would actually shoot up to 1000 yards. My favorite is a Rem Sendero in 300 WM, 6.5x20 Vari-III. The load I shoot at that distance is a 190 gr Sierra Match HPBT movin at about 2950 fps. I have this guns reticle adjustments figured to about 800 yards right now. The other gun is a custom 280 Ackley that I haven't had long enough to have done much with. I put a Vari-III 4.5x14 on it. I'm trying the 160 gr Accubonds with this and am excited to see the results. The little I know about long range ballistics and reticle adjustment is self taught (reading books). I'm always excited to meet people who know about these things and it's just plain fun to throw lead downrange.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Welcome Scm

Yes, it is fun chunking lead downrange........spuds too sometimes... :D

mike