The Firearms Forum banner

100grn Cast bullet load data for 38spl?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bustedmp 
#1 ·
I got a huge box of 100grn LRN bullets from a guy at work. I am looking for some data for light loads for my wife to fire from her 38spl. I haven't had much luck so far. The powders i have on hand are Bluedot, HP-38, and Powerpistol. My books list data for 110 jacketed bullets, but nothing for light cast bullets. I was thinking about using the 110 data and reducing it by 10%, would that be ok?

#4 · (Edited)
Like 22WRF, I would suggest trying the 125gr cast lead loads. Max 125gr cast loads will still be mid-range with a 100gr cast bullet.
In the manuals that I checked here, 110gr jacketed loads are a bit heavier than 125gr cast and wind up a hair over 1000fps.
You will be guesstimating velocity and pressure. Be very careful if you proceed!

Are you sure they're .358" diameter? They might be .356" round nose for .380ACP. If so, accuracy will be really lousy.
Otherwise, they're probably 100gr for the older 38S&W cartridges.
Not an ideal bullet choice.

WW231/HP38 would be my powder of choice of the three you listed.
Both BlueDot and PowerPistol are a bit too slow-burning for cast-lead .38Spcl loads. PowerPistol if you can find data. BlueDot is definitely too slow.

Maybe someone here has Quickload and can run some numbers for you.

#7 ·
Go with the Power Pistol. I believe that Power Pistol is fast enough that you will not come close to any over pressure issues with a 100gr bullet. From 5.6 grains to 7.5 grains is recomended with a 110gr bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.