100yds with a Bull Dog

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by carver, Aug 12, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Tried shooting the Charter Arms Bull Dog (DAO) at 100yds the other day, I was surprised! I knew I could keep all my shots on a B-27 target at 35yds. Didn't expect to really hit much at 100yds. Had to aim about a foot high to get the bullets to drop in on target. I was shooting at some clay pigeons that had been scattered on the berm, and shot with a .22. Trust me when I say that you don't want me shooting at you at 100yds with this gun!! I was shooting some reloads that I had, 240gr LRN over 6.8grs of AA #5.

Attached Files:

2. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

A few decades back when I was in the Air Force I was out at a range with my Gold Cup National Match .45. I had a box of G.I. hardball ammo and set up a pop can on a post about 80 yards out. I could hit that can about twice out of a 7 round magazine firing from a rest so I figured I was keeping all shots inside a basketball. A steady hand and a good gun is all it takes.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

I doubt that I could hit something as small as a soda can at 100yds with the Bull Dog, unless I got lucky, but I was putting most shots into an area the size of a bushell basket!
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Good to see you all stretching out your long range muscle. Always loved the 44 spcl but don't have much trigger time with the Bulldog. I shoot mine out of my 44 mag Super Blackhawk and its like shooting a 22 in comparison, light recoil and nearly 22 caliber accurate. I don't suppose you have a close up picture of that target do you?

Now I have to take a box of my 44 spcl out to 100 yards and see if I can hit anything with it. I still have 33 rounds of PMC factory loads that aren't doing me any good in the box, maybe I will shoot them up to see if I should get anymore of them or stick with Federal. I have some MBC bullets but haven't loaded them yet. I really got to get busy and finish rebuilding my loading bench.
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Fine shooting! Especially with the Bulldog.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

If I had been using the Ruger Black Hawk with the .44spcl loads, things might have gone a lot better!:D Wasn't shooting at targets per say, it was some broken bits of clay birds that I was shooting at up on the berm. Didn't think to put up a target, but will do so in the next day or so. Post will include pics.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Good shooting. I assume that was from a rest. I'm always amazed at the long range accuracy some get with a handgun, like those shooting water jugs @ 200 yds with a .45.

I'd like to do a little informal survey sometime of how well people shoot long range from an unsupported off hand position. I know I'm lucky to hit paper @ 25 yds. I just have to laugh at how bad I am anymore or else I'd cry.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Awesome Shooting Carver!
    People sometimes underestimate what those short barreld guns are capable of.
    I've been shooting a few, short barrel handguns for some time now at longer ranges, and love to see others stretching them out there!!
    NICE!
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Nice shooting Carver. 100 yds with open sights? These tired eyes would have trouble just seeing the target no less hitting it.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Carver stick with it ,

nice to KNOW you can drop someone, if thing's are average , at that range if you have too

and ya gotta love what those lug nut looking projectiles would do at the far end

i'm 100% at 80 meters on figure 11 targets

i'm trying to rig a cable to make a moving target to practice on
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    jack,a window motor of a automobile can be modified for what you want.i shoot my 1911 at 100 yards all the time with a friend of mine and its more like lobing a artillery round,but once you get the hang of it its not real hard. old semperfi
  12. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I was with Carver when he was doing this. I tried it too, and it is hard to believe that it would do it at that range. Talking about it is one thing- doing it is another. With a 2" barrel, no less.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It was raining off and on today so I didn't get out to the 100 yard range but I did do some 25 yard shooting between rain showers. I have a mess of old oddball ammo from various and sundry sources so I decided to shoot some of them up before I get my new supply of 44 spcl in. My Super Blackhaek is still set up for 100 yards using Hydra-shok JHP ammo so I had no idea where these rounds would go. I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully next time I go out I can try 100 with the spcls, I have more oddball stuff I need to get rid of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I have a mold for the 44 LFP bullet so I am going to try and duplicate this load when I get to casting and loading again.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Not a thing wrong with those groups, Old Grump.