10mm Pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Dave1
    (1/26/03 1:22:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 10mm Pistols
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi do any of you guys own a 10mm pistol?what make and model is it?whats is the recoil like when compared to a .45?and whats the accuracy like?

JBP
    (1/26/03 4:24:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 10mm Pistols
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 10mm is a great round. I have a Glock 20, a S&W 610 6.5" barrel, and a S&W 610 with a 3" barrel. All are extremely accurate and me for at least there is no difference in recoil between the G20 and either of my 1911s or the 610s and their comparable size .45ACP revolvers. I suggest you go over to the 10mm forum at glocktalk.com/. Have a bunch of rabid 10mm fans that can give you answers to any questions you might have.

denfoote
    (2/17/03 4:24:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 10mm Pistols
    I have a Glock 29 and the accuracy is excellent!! The recoil is about the same as a .45, at least to me!!!
    Glocks may come and Glocks may go, but Walther endures forever!!

fredarmory
    (2/17/03 9:41:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 10mm Pistols
    I'll have to agree Glocks do come and go!
    Gimme a P "whatever" 38,5,8 (whats the new one again?) I'll show you accuracy!

blowsomethingup
    (2/21/03 8:58:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del WAS a glock hater
    didnt want to believe all the hype associated with glock until I finally shot one.absolute extremely accurate pistol and one of the few available in 10 mm for a decent price.the g20 is definately on my list near the top for my next pistol.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/21/03 10:16:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WAS a glock hater
    I can't say I've owned a Glock, I can say if I did, IMHO I would have some serious concerns.

Like... communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

krmnalmind0351
    (2/21/03 12:44:13 pm)
    I have owned a glock 20 for 11 years which i had bought from the PX on camp pendleton.The pistol has been extremely reliable over these years I installed a LAW17 internal laser from sk industries while i was still in the U.S.M.C and in my opinion it was the ultimate in tactical CQB situations.after i was discharged in 92 i used my glock in stock class ipsc at local matchs with no problems through probably another 12000 rounds and is still my primary personal protection weapon to this day.I have an USP.40 fullsize a kimber ultra compact which is the best for a concealed carry (again my opinion )a para ord. p-14 which is my ipsc gun now and a safari arms custom carry full size.45 which was basically my idpa pistol everyone of my pistols to rifles has a purpose (including the barrett model 99) but i would say my G20 is my all around go getter.for sidearm while hunting to just making me sleep better at night.but as for someone picking there first pistol i would sugjest going to a local range that may have rentals and put a couple of boxs of ammo through a few of your choice s now mind you these pistols may have been abused as rentals ans not in as good of working order as if you were the one taking care of maintenence. but it will give you a general feel for the gun as in recoil and muzzle flip.which are also things that can be adjusted depending on how much you would like to get into the gun or if you just want something out of the box.I probably went a little long on this but i just found this forum and i am just damn happy about being able to talk guns without getting into a debate with some brain washed hippys.so this was my first post and to give yoyu an idea of my back ground and the amount of weapons handling i have had i inlisted in the Marine Corps at 17 in 87 were i was able to polish my passion as an adrinalin junkie I was 03 went to a security force battalion were i became a CQB and PMI.In 91 operation desert shield then desert storm (combat action) so i feel i can speak on our issues of war.these damn peace activist just kill me when they don't understand that without war there is no peace.So again hello to everone and i hope to talk to you all as much as possible.please forgive and spelling or punctuation as this is definately no my thing.

Craig

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/21/03 1:38:27 pm)
    Hello Craig, and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

We're glad you've found us.

Congratulations on your many accomplishments.

As you know, we all have are own opinions... and some mean more than others

Hope to see you again soon & often

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

blowsomethingup
    (2/21/03 11:24:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del tryem you'll likem
    glock 20 is the best 10 mm for the money
    not the best looking,and the kaboom problem is something to think about,but once you shoot one,its definately a great pistol.I used to be a glock hater until I actually gave them a chance.
  2. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I'd like a 10mm at some point. The EAA Witness steel 10mm is appealing to me as is the Glock 20, though I favor the aesthetics of the EAA. If Taurus would chamber their PT1911 in 10mm, that'd be something I'd be interested in as well.

[​IMG]

I was told though they have no immediate plans to chamber the PT1911s in anything other than .45 ACP, 9mm & .40 S&W for the time being. I'd be interested in a Springfield XD in 10mm as well if they ever release one in that chambering.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a Colt Delta Elite (10 mm specific model) and I have developed an opinion about 10 mm over the last 20 years I have owned the Colt.

The 10 mm is a "magnum" load. That is, the pressures are pretty high for a handgun. The recoil is heavy. I have no problem with a big push as I have several other "big" guns but the 10 mm twists pretty hard in your hand when you shoot it. In fact, I found it a bit too much. So I down loaded it to a level that pushed hard but did not twist the gun (180 grain bullets at 1000 FPS rather than 200 gr bullets at 1200 FPS) and guess what? Before there was even a 40 S&W that's the load level I ended up at, over 20 years ago.

The point? The 10 mm cartridge is a bit much. I suggest either down loading it or buy a 40S&W. The down loaded 10mm, the 40S&W and the 45 ACP all have about the same felt recoil and about the same energy on the target. For the same "effect" at either end of the gun a 45 ACP gun also works, so consider the 45 ACP guns too.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the Colt Delta Elite and the 10 mm cartridge but for day in day out usage other calibers (40S&W or 45 ACP) make more sense.

Would I buy a 10 mm again? Sure, because I have many other pistols in the other calibers, and I like to cover all the calibers.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. I have to agree with you LDB. I've shot the Glock 10mm fairly extensively and it's a good cartridge, but it's fired at such high pressure that it tends to be hard on guns, and the added recoil, while not punishing, makes for less controlability. If I recall correctly, the FBI went to the 10mm for a time, but backed off to the .40 S&W (the 10mm without the steroids!) a short time later.
  5. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

That's a mighty handsome gun. Reminds me of the Browning Hi-Power, one of my all-time faves.
  6. LDBennett

The EAA Witness is a CZ75 clone. In fact the trigger parts interchange with CZ parts. My Witness in 45 ACP is a good gun but others here have reported theirs had problems. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

CZ makes the CZ 97 in 45 ACP. I like my CZ97 but if you have small hands it may be a tough gun to hang onto. It is just enough bigger than the CZ75 to be too big for small hands while the CZ75 is near perfect.

But I second the comment about the provided picture looking great!

LDBennett
  7. shooter429

shooter429 New Member

Q: What is the ten good for that cannot be better accomplished by a big-bore magnum wheelgun or a 1911? I mean, it is not proper bear medicine. But it is also a bit overpowered for human targets is it not? Just curious. What is the draw?

Shooter429
  8. LDBennett

About 20 years ago an ideal tactical gun was invisioned by the tactical shooting gang lead by Jeff Cooper, the founder of tactical shooting in America. It was an enlarged CZ 75 design clone. The gun actually got made but had a very bad magazine shortage and died. Most ordered guns were delivered without magazines and few magazines came later.

Colt and Norma (for ammo) picked up the pieces and Colt stuffed the 10mm into the 1911 frame and called it the Colt Delta Elite. Others added it to their line.

The FBI bought into it as well and it became their regular carry gun but woman FBI agents had lots of trouble with the recoil (small hands, small body mass, brutal recoil for them). So the FBI bought down loaded 10mm ammo. Others, including S&W, realized that 10mm was over powered and the 40S&W was invented. It was at the FBI down loaded level, used shortened 10mm brass, and 180 gr bullets instead of 200 gr bullets. It also fit the 9mm framed guns better due to reduced power levels.The FBI dropped the 10mm and now uses the 40S&W.

The 10mm is indeed a magnum level gun and falls right behind the 41 Mag for power levels. I'm no hunter but if the 41 Mag is good enough for protection during hunting I would think the 10mm would do virtually as well (??). As for self protection, the FBI bought into it originally for that purpose. Except for the recoil I'll bet it is effective as a man stopper but the follow up shot will be very hard to do fast.

I have one because there is a 10mm cartridge, but I normally download it to 40S&W specs. That's my thing....having one of most every readily available cartridged guns. Others have it because it is Magnum just like the 357, the 41, and the 44. It just doesn't have "Magnum" in the name. The cartridge pressures are magnum level.

LDBennett
  9. arkyboy

arkyboy New Member

I have one of the EAA Witness 10mm pistols pictured above, and couldn't be happier with it. It is slightly larger and heavier than a 1911 and handles the 10mm quite well. Very stable and accurate. The nice thing about the Witness line, it that you can buy top end conversion kits to shoot several different cals. I convert EAA guns with these kits and am very happy with the result's. I also have a 1911 in 10mm that I built, and although the 1911 is my all time favorite, 10mm is about as strong of a round that I would want to use in it. As far as the usefullness of the 10mm round, I can't say much, except that it is becoming more popular in these parts as a sidearm during Whitetail deer season. I'm not a hunter, so I can't give you any first hand evidence of it's effectiveness in that application, but it is a hoot to shoot! :D
    arkyboy
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I would have to think the 10mm ammo is some of the most expensive ammo to purchase for a handgun. Never shot one, but I'm sure it would be a good backup gun for hunting big game. :)
  11. arkyboy

arkyboy New Member

Not as bad as you might think if you shop at places like Midway USA. Pretty economical to reload for too.
    arkyboy
  12. Chad10mm

Chad10mm New Member

Why I like the 10mm...sounds like What I Did On Summer Vacation...

I carry 10mm about 95% of the time. I have 2 Deltas, a S&W 610 and a Glock29.

The versatility of the caliber is what attracted me and has proven itself.
    From light fast loads with minimal penetration to heavy deep penetrating loads, it's the only caliber I've found that will do everything I need a handgun to do.

And it's just fun to shoot!!
  13. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

I agree 100% and have had the S&W 1006 & 1086 and wish I had my 1006 back, have two 610's and G29 for CCW that is always with me. The G29 has out shot the 1911 45ACP several times at the range, talk about upsetting a guys day when his $1200 1911 is made to take a second to a $500 plastic wonder gun. It does make my day. :D
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I've had a Glock 20 for a few years now, it goes with me on every hunt, whether Bow or Rifle.

I've used it to scare off black bear :) If I ever find one dumb enough to keep coming after the warning shot, I have no doubt it'll do the job.

Fish & Wildlife once asked me why I carried a sidearm when bowhunting...I kinda looked at him sideways and asked if he'd ever had a big hog shrug off a shot when bowhunting....because you need more than a bow at that point to stay alive if you are on the ground with it. He understood ;)

It'll do the same things as a .357 Magnum, and leave a slightly bigger hole, with slightly less recoil. :D
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009