10mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bob1010, Feb 6, 2010.

1. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I really like the 10mm caliber. I had a Colt Delta Elite at one time back when they first came out. The 10mm caliber requires a gun that is actually made for it instead of a 45 1911. There were quite a few slide or frame failures due to the 10mm's recoil. How have other guns held up after a lot of use?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have a smith 1076. The gun has held up very well. I have had problems with the trigger that made me send the gun back to smith 3 times. Other than that it has been a good gun. Wait i did have to get the extractor reprofiled about 2 years ago. All of a sudden it just stopped execting and a gunsmith "reprofiled" the extractor and it works like a champ again.

They dont make that gun anymore.

I also have a Kimber target mdl in 10mm and it is tight and kicka$$. I love the gun.

Glock makes one but i have no experience with it.

I recall a while back the Colt delta's having a problem with the recoil. I think they have fixed the issue because if I am not mistaken I think you can get them again.

I can tell you hands down the kimber is a good weapon. I wish more manufacturers would make 10's.
    If you can shoot a 45 you can shoot a 10.

edit: here is a link

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/stainless_target_II/
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Have a 1006, fired at least twice a month. No problems with it.
  4. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

I have wanted a 1006 for quite awhile. I was sent to the police armorer's course back in '91 or '92 @ Springfield, Mass for auto pistols and each student fit parts to 10 model 1006's that were all going to the FBI academy which was ironic because I worked @ the WBTN gunshop, Quantico about a 1000 yards from the academy armory. I think they changed to the 1076 a short while later, and then dropped it for a .45 acp 1911A1 or other-I'm not sure anymore. Don't know what they use now. It would be interesting to know if they allowed any of the agents to retain their S&W 10mm if they wanted.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I have a lot of 10mm auto's (35+ at the moment), it is my favorite caliber. I have a complete S&W collection including the very rare (151 made) 1046. I also have countless 1911 derivitives.
    My favorite 10mm auto to shoot is the Star Megastar. My most accurate is my pair of Dan Wesson Razorback's followed closely by the Springfield Omega Match. I CCW with a G29 and carry a G20 for woods use.

Here's just a small sample which includes only one of the guns (I have a half-dozen of some models):
    [​IMG]

My "10-ring" as I have dubbed it with my completed S&W 10xx collection including all 6 models.
    [​IMG]

If there is enough interest, I will post some warnings and recall info for the S&W pistols or see my post on 10mm talk:
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=72050&view=findpost&p=963210
  6. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

Nice collection Bambihunter.
    I haven't seen a Colt Double Eagle for so long that I forgot about them. I always liked those.
    Best-Mike
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Thanks for the link, bambihunter! good info!
  8. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Thanks guys. I can talk 10mm's all day. :)

Also, I just realized the 1076 and 1066 labels are switched. The 1066 has the slide safety/decocker whereas the 1076 has the frame mounted decocker.
  9. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

Bambihunter,
    I was actually thinking about the Tanfoglio Witness'. How are they? Hold up good against the 10mm? I was thinking about the full sized model. I enjoyed the round when I shot the delta Elite that I had. Been wanting another.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been wanting a delta for a while now. Will probably be my next purchase. How is the availability on the ammo where your at?
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

thanks for the link bambihunter

my 1076 gave me fits in the begining. I had to send it to s&w 3 times before they got it right.
  12. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Bob1010, I had already replied to your PM before I saw this. Is the 1010 part of your name because you are a big 10mm fan too?

Double D, I get most of my 10mm ammo from www.doubletapammo.com

Their stuff is loaded like the 10mm is supposed to be. It is low smoke and low flash too. I used to get ammo from a reloading friend of mine and his loads didn't quite get to the power of the DoubleTap ammo but his had a huge fireball. I both practice and CCW with the DoubleTap load. He actually got his company name because he has a "duplex" load which has a 135 grain JHP bullet and a lead round ball in one cartridge, they call it the Equalizer.

Double D, they have just started selling the Delta Elite's new again. I haven't got a chance to try the new ones yet. If you are after the 1911 design and not the Colt name, try the Dan Wesson's, especially the Razorback. They discontinued them this year, but they are a very tight pistol. They are more accurate than any other I have, the next most accurate is my pair of Springfield Omega Match, IIRC the Kimber Stainless Target II is next, and the Delta Gold Cup is in there somewhere.

There were 150 of these Dan Wesson Razorback's serial numbered originals that have serialed magazines, etc. I have the two different variants of them. These two are my NIB ones, then I have a pair of shooters.
    [​IMG]

Here's my rare NIB factory polished Delta Elite:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  13. Double D

Bambi, thanks for the info. I dont have to have the colt, but, that is what I was looking at. I will research the others as well. I am a fan of the 10mm load. I like its little brother the 40cal too. You have a nice collection. I hope to get there one day.....Thanks
  14. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Thanks DD. My 10mm's are half my entire gun collection. I have been considering compiling all the 10mm info I have acquired over the years into a book but I don't know if there'd ever be enough interest for it to ever be produced and/or printed.

If you want some more good info, feel free to post over on the 10mmtalk.com forum's too, it is now part of the AR-15 forum. http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mm-Talk-Forums-f187.html

Or, for good reading on the cartridge and the guns that fire it:
    http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html
  15. Double D

I appreciate the links. Problem is its making me lust after one. Once I start that, its not long before I just "must" have one.
  16. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

That's the idea... :p
  17. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

I have a 2 Glock 10mms (20&29) and I love them to death. My 20 came with a 6" conventional Land/Groove rifled barrel made by Storm Lake, so I can use lead bullets with it. I took a 65lb wild hog last year with it. Great round and great gun.
  18. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Jericho, everytime my buddy goes hog hunting he always borrows my Glock 20. He hunts from the ground by himself and no dogs with a muzzleloader. He carries it in case of a hog charges him after he shoots it. 4 years went uneventful and the 5th year he had two charge him (different hunts) and he took them both down with the Glock. One of them literally died at his feet. He has a .44 mag revolver, but he knew in that sort of a hurried situation in thick woods he would have a hard time with his 10" revolver. He liked the power of the 10mm, and quicker cycle time (compared to his 44) and he liked the 15+1 capacity.

After his second close call this year he went and bought a ported Para-Ordinance 16-40 and had it reamed out to 10mm that he now carries while hog hunting. He also carries a Glock 29 for defense. He says the 10mm has already saved his life twice, he feels quite comfortable with it. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  19. Double D

Had it reamed out?
  20. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

OYeah! 10mm is perfect for hog. It always on my side during a hog hunt as a backup. My primary is usually one of my Oneida bows or either one of my .41 Magnums(6"57 or 1894S).