1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

110 fmj in a M1A

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dave3, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

Was thinking of loading some 110 fmj for my m1a for wolves. Does anyone know if this round would work in an M1a. Standard rifle. Thanks.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Sure according to the Lyman data, might not be very accurate in a 1/11 twist but it will work. I use 168 grainers in my scout, course that'd probably pelt the animal for you too.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Dave3:

One of the pitfalls of deviating too far from the "standard" weight bullets of a particular caliber is bullet stability.

A bullet must spin with a minimum rate according to the Greenhill formula. This limits how long (which usually means how heavy but not always as it depends on the shape of the bullets nose) the bullet can be and still not wobble on the way to the target. Get it wrong and the accuracy can be terrible. The 168 grain Match bullet is about as heavy as you may want to go with a 1 in 11 twist, according to Greenhill.

On the other end of the scale (your situation) if the bullet is too light the hyper spin rate can tear it apart. In some cases the bullet may never even reach the target and explode from the rotational speeds the bullet was not made to handle. My experience with 52 grain "normal" bullets in a 1 in 8 twist 223 showed me that in spades, as the bullets never reached the target but disintegrated along the path to the target. A better match grade 52 gr bullet did make it to the target but the barrel really liked heavier bullets around 70 grains and gave much better accuracy with them. The 110 grainer bullets in 308 require a minimum twist rate of 1 in 17, a long way from 1 in 11 as in your gun. While you may not have trouble, the numbers say you might.

110 grainers are a long way from the "standard" weight of 308 bullets and may be a problem. The way to still use those bullets is to reduce the velocity (a lot) but that kind of defeats the concept of fast light bullets. I think most 308 M1A shooters get the best accuracy from the match 168 grainers but of course every gun is different and yours may like some other weight and design bullet, like a 150 gr match bullet. You'll only know by trying them all and developing loads for each one.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  4. Dave3

Dave3 New Member

Thanks guys, I kinda thought there might be some issues. I think I am having them with 40 grainers in my 700 in 223. Back to the loading manual. Thanks again.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Dave
    Just go ahead & use regular weight FMJs in your M1A for wolves. They'll make the same size entrance & exit holes the 110 grainers will. I havn't shot wolves but I have shot coyotes with 'em & I bet the results will be the same.