11X52R Dutch Beaumont

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/22/02 3:46:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 11X52R Dutch Beaumont
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was talking to shooter45us today. Several months ago he sold me an M1871/78/90 Beaumont. I finally finished the ammo fabrication and test fired this beauty. He told me that there may be a couple of others here that are so involved, or may be likewise intrested. See the link below to pics of the ammo process. If you're interested, I'll post more complete instructions to ammo fabrication for this very interesting rifle.

Dozvedaniya

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/22/02 5:18:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 11X52R Dutch Beaumont
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am glad you posted the picture here since I couldn't see it on flhunters forum. All I could read there was the words.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.
  2. TBusch

TBusch New Member

Anyone out there making thier own Dutch Beaumont cartridges? I would welcome any information concerning that subject. Thanks.
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

WOW, $82 for a box of twenty at buffaloarms.com!!!!!

Your question prompted me to google the ammo. Again, WOW, that's expensive. I don't reload but good luck TBusch, and welcome to the forums. ;) :)
  4. TBusch

TBusch New Member

Thanks for the welcome Bunnyhunter. I've scoured Google and found some info. but need more to feel comfortable with the project. The rifle is in wonderful condition, found at a local gunshow. I wonder how much of this sort of thing is tucked away in the backs of how many closets? Thanks again.
    TBusch
  5. rondrake52

rondrake52 New Member

I'm also looking for loading info on 11x52 dutch beaumont. Have You located any.Thanks. Ron
  6. TBusch

TBusch New Member

No, none that makes any sense. One source stated 50 grains ffg produced approx. 1400 fps but 50 grains of ffg (by bulk) in my Beaumont cases doesn't even begin to fill the case. As I understand from several sources over the years says an air gap in a black powder column is a no-no. Loading enough black powder to fill my beaumont cases and leave any for compression requires 80 grains by bulk. And, if you are using bottle neck cases such as the Beaumont you must fill the case into the neck otherwise how are you going to install a over powder wad and grease cookie? I'm about to simply jump off into my own experimentation using general knowlege of black powder cartridge loading gleaned from several books on the subject. If I still have my fingers to type with, I'll post the results.
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If you are not comfortable loading you own ammo for this rifle, try contacting Bob Shell at http://www.obsoleteammo.com . I have gotten this same ammo from him and he does a FANTASTIC job. The shells are expensive at first just because of the cost of the brass. But he will also reload them if you send them back to him. My last batch of 20 I had him reload was about $40 including shipping both ways.
  8. quegbeau

quegbeau New Member

boy's i have a beaumont and i have been shooting a .451 round ball in it with .50 grains of 2f and it is pretty accurate. i only found a .458 bullet witch is a 45/70 bullet. and the ballistics ia so much different. but fun. so if any of you guys have more info i'm game.
    thank you
  9. r j thompson

r j thompson New Member

Does anyone have any load data for using smokeless powder when reloading the 11x52??
  10. astrobiker

astrobiker New Member

I wonder if you guys might be able to help me or point me toward someone who could?

I was given a Dutch Beaumont Vitali by my grandfather.. no story or history with it. My brother-in-law who is a gunsmith has looked at it, cleaned, and lubed it says it is safe to fire. I have bought a box of ammo from Buffalo Arms. So I am ready to shoot it except for one thing: the front sight is visibly off-center to the right. I verified it with a bore laser. But I can't tell if it is actually adjustable. One side looks like it is (little notch evident where it could be tapped on the left side - wrong way) but the other side seems solid. Can you tell me if this sight is actually adjustable?
  11. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I know this thread is a little old but if your are still wondering, you can tap the sight side to side for adjustment.
  12. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Call rcbs they will have hard to find calibers die sets.
  13. Hogpost

Hogpost New Member

Got my dies from C&H-4D, beautiful pieces, used them to form from Star-line 50-90 Sharps. Naturally they make cases to spec, but fire-formed cases blow the shoulder forward & swell the base. I just don't full-length resize fired cases.

You'll never get the original 65 grn BP charge in a modern solid-head case; I use 50 grns 777 with no compression and 365-grain bullet: matches original performance of just under 1500 fps.

Like many (all?) Beaumonts, mine slugs 459 at the breech but 454 at the muzzle; tapered bores were common back then. Original bullets were hollow-base, to obturate well and permit squeeze-down through the barrel. Since I have more time than money, I drill out the base of a 405 grn/458 dia for 45-70 to get the hollow base & right weight, then size in a Lee resizer to 454. What a sweetheart shooter! Took a javelina at 200+ yards. I love it when the guy in the next lane asks, "What the hell is that?"
  14. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

This is correct! Just use a filler (I like Quaker Oats or corn meal) to top off the case.
  15. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

Making cases fropm 348 WCF brass and hobby shop tubing is possible if you have a lathe. See my article in the Single Shot Association News several years ago. Summary: Anneal and expand to .458. Cut a 3/4" piece of brass tubing. Expand one end to rim diameter and press the case into it. Load and fire. Use a bullet of about 350 grains and a case of FFg. Match the velocity with 5744.