1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

12 ga 1oz slug help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tinman1986, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Tinman1986

Tinman1986 New Member

I have a Mossberg 12ga with a 24'' rifled barrel iron sights.
    Shooting 2.75'' Win AA hulls, Win 209 primers, Clays powder @ 19.4 grs, using Win AA12 wads, 8-pt star crimp, Lee 1oz cast slugs #2 alloy Currently shooting @ 50yds and have almost a 10'' spread for a 5-shot group. (benchrest shooting)
    Does anyone have any loads i can try to get it to at least a 5'' group? Any info would be great and be appreciated.

Travis
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

I cast the 1 oz slugs from clip on wheel weights. Using Unique I'm at about 6" at 50 yds with my fully rifled Mossberg. I didn't bother trying for anything better. That's more than sufficient for my needs. My personal experience with Lee slugs is that changing the wad makes more of a difference than changing the powder. I use Unique because I use it in everything and have a lot of it on the shelf.

Oh, and I always put a card stock disc between the slug and the wad.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The rifled BBL is meant to shoot saboted slugs and I'm not sure the white winchester wads will serve that purpose. I tried the BluForce sabots and the best I could get was about a foot at a 100 yards with a roll crimp so I scrapped it for now.

You might want to purchase a slug reloading manual.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=71
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

I have four or five rifled barrel shotguns. My best results are with factory loaded rifled slugs, but the Lee slugs in a wad work just fine. And wads are so much cheaper than sabots. I can load a lee slug for just a few cents.
  5. Tinman1986

Tinman1986 New Member

My thoughts too cause i got plenty of slugs and I want to get to maybe a 4'' group with 5 shots. Plus the factories are loaded so it hurts like hell after 15-20 rounds. :confused: cakes: How many grains were you using in that load? I do not know how to do a roll crimp and most of my shells have a 8pt crimp anyway.

Thanks again

Tinman