12 ga 1oz slug help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tinman1986, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Tinman1986

Tinman1986 New Member

I have a Mossberg 12ga with a 24'' rifled barrel iron sights.
    Shooting 2.75'' Win AA hulls, Win 209 primers, Clays powder @ 19.4 grs, using Win AA12 wads, 8-pt star crimp, Lee 1oz cast slugs #2 alloy Currently shooting @ 50yds and have almost a 10'' spread for a 5-shot group. (benchrest shooting)
    Does anyone have any loads i can try to get it to at least a 5'' group? Any info would be great and be appreciated.

Travis
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

I cast the 1 oz slugs from clip on wheel weights. Using Unique I'm at about 6" at 50 yds with my fully rifled Mossberg. I didn't bother trying for anything better. That's more than sufficient for my needs. My personal experience with Lee slugs is that changing the wad makes more of a difference than changing the powder. I use Unique because I use it in everything and have a lot of it on the shelf.

Oh, and I always put a card stock disc between the slug and the wad.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The rifled BBL is meant to shoot saboted slugs and I'm not sure the white winchester wads will serve that purpose. I tried the BluForce sabots and the best I could get was about a foot at a 100 yards with a roll crimp so I scrapped it for now.

You might want to purchase a slug reloading manual.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=71
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

I have four or five rifled barrel shotguns. My best results are with factory loaded rifled slugs, but the Lee slugs in a wad work just fine. And wads are so much cheaper than sabots. I can load a lee slug for just a few cents.
  5. Tinman1986

Tinman1986 New Member

My thoughts too cause i got plenty of slugs and I want to get to maybe a 4'' group with 5 shots. Plus the factories are loaded so it hurts like hell after 15-20 rounds. :confused: cakes: How many grains were you using in that load? I do not know how to do a roll crimp and most of my shells have a 8pt crimp anyway.

Thanks again

Tinman