1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

12 ga buckshot question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Jan 15, 2012.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know we deal with rifle and pistol cartridges here but I didn't know where else to post this. I bought several boxes of S&B 12 ga 2-3?4" 00 buck loads.I shot some yesterday and was surprised at how light the recoil was.Not like the heavy recoil from buckshot I'm used to.They are listed as "max" loads so I assumed the charge would be about 3-3/4 drams.I bought them for home defence loads in my short barrel 12ga and want to be sure the pellets won't stop before penetrating a heavy overcoat etc.I immediatly shot a few federals #4 buck I had and there is a definite difference in the recoil.(the Federals also say "max" chge).I've seen "military grade" buckshot green in color advertised around $5 a box.Has anyone any experience with these?I'm thinking of buying some Remington Express 00 buck as I've shot this before.The S&B's felt like I was shooting #8 light bird loads with 3 drams charge. Any suggestions? THANKS Joe
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I say enjoy your light OOB loads. Don't worry about underpenetration. No street garment will stop buckshot at home defense distances. Buckshot will tear through the heaviest leather/quilted/canvas overcoat like it was cardboard.
  3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks Steve,maybe they are sufficient,I'm just used to more kick with 00 buck. thanks Joe
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I have some of the Winchester 12 ga you mention that has green hulls and black heads. They kick pretty hard, even through my semi auto.