1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

12 gage blanks?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Boyd Miles
    (5/10/02 6:05:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 12 gage blanks?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    any advice as to powder and loads? Winchester popper loads cost $1 a round here and considering there is no shot they should be cheap to load.
    Thanks,

Boyd Miles

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave
    William Drummond

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/10/02 7:58:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 12 gage blanks?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard Boyd Miles!

Someone will be along shortly to help with your question!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

ldsteff
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/10/02 8:45:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 12 Ga. Blanks
    Wouldn't be a problem.During the loading process after primer and powdering use your wadding or cup to keep the powder compressed,don't load any lead or steel pellets,I guess you could use paper wads or cotton to maintain the space where the pellets would go then crimp as usual.I never made any blanks but have loaded a lot of shells,depending on powder and wadding the round could still be dangerous 20-30 feet out...

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/10/02 10:08:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 12 Ga. Blanks
    What are you going to use them for?
    I load blanks for launching purposes but I load them in shortened cases.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Boyd Miles
    (5/11/02 10:54:20 pm)
    The blanks would be for re-enacting (20th century so smokless powder) I need to avoid anything that can go downrange intact and they would have to function in pump guns.

Boyd Miles

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave
    William Drummond

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/12/02 1:37:23 pm)
    Quite a number of years ago I bought a jug (8lbs) of blank powder from Thunderbird cartridge company in arizona, I don't even know if they are still in business. You might want to do a google search to see.
    You might try pistol powder to see if it workable for you.
    In the blanks I load for launghing purposes I use 23 grains of unique and it makes a lot of noise.
    As far as wadding goes you might try wadded up paper towel over the powder although what comes out may be burning and could cause a fire.
    Then just recrimp the full length case.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

buckaroobarnes
    (12/16/02 11:16:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del blanks
    Just went out to the reloading room (in the rain), because I just had to share this with you.

I spent a lotta time on the same quest as you and NOBODY knew a damn thing....then an old timer told me about "smokless" blanks. I listened and tried to apply his yarns and what I knew about powder and this is what I came up with.

BUT REMEMBER USE CAUTION WHEN WORKING UP LOADS

Ok...Black powder does not need to be contained to blow up (this is why it is so dangerous in quantity (they only sell it in 1 lb kegs now) and smokeless just burns when lit in the open (no pressure). Now the faster powders burn faster (more flash) and slower powders burn slower(less flash). ie; pistol and shotgun powders need less pressure (larger barrel bore to powder ratio) and rifle powders need more pressure(smaller barrel bore to powder ratio). So I theorized that to make "smokeless" 12 ga blanks I would need to use the fastest powder on hand.

Here is what I came up with:
    I had 8 lbs of Red Dot (I took on trade, dirty stuff) I took some old RXP hulls (paper base can't get wads anymore). Realistically any case should work, but you will want to order some "over powder cards". These are available from shotgun reloading specialty places and are approx .120 thick hard cardboard. When you "crimp" the shell you want to turn the petals all the way in to hold the card against the powder. Don't fret this card will dissentigrate on firing. But these and all blanks can be VERY DANGEROUS up close ( I test by putting a rock in a large paper bag and firing at it at "safe" distance and looking for penetration). I started with about twice the target load of Red Dot and blocked shotgun in rubber tires and put string on trigger (in retrospect was pretty funny), anyhow the thing went pfffzzzt. I tried a few more and never even got a pop. Not enough pressure. In theory expanding gases in this large of a bore with no payload=pffzzt....so more powder! I won't tell ya what I ended up with but these loads have been fired in Stevens dbl bbl, Iver johnson Hercules dbl, and remington 870 but don't even begin to think you would be safe with any older gun not safe for smokeless powder. I eventually got 'er to the point that in our stage hold ups in parades my shotgun would rattle business windows and set off their alarms!
    REMEMBER BE VERY CAREFUL>>>>It can be done

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/17/02 8:45:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: blanks
    Shotgun News use to advertise 12 guage bird bomb loads to scare pest away from your area. But even these could be dangerous.

People in movies have been killed by blanks firing wads at point blank range.

Don't want to put a damper on your project but please be careful.

Gunguy

henry0reilly
    (1/1/03 6:00:22 pm)
    I would appreciate it if someone finds a source for blanks. Our Sons of the American Legion has an old firetruck that has a signal cannon mounted on it and they need a source for shells.

henryreilly@netscape.net

MTaylor
    (1/1/03 7:40:46 pm)
    Power Blanks

Blanks

Motion Picture Blanks, Inc.

LC Supply

And, try Auction Arms...

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 9:11:59 am)
    Hi Henry......welcome to TFF.

LHSFootball
    (2/2/03 2:48:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Our Cannon
    Our high school football team has been shooting this Winchester 10 gauge blank cannon since 1960.

You can read more on our cannon and see other related cannon sites for information on getting shells to reload at:

home.ptd.net/~zovak/cannon.html