12 gauge 2 inch shells

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 6, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

12 ga has more recoil than I want. I like 20s. I know it sounds goofy but I would like to cut down a 12 for 3 reasons. #1 to get more than 3 or 4 rounds in the tube. #2 to lighten the recoil. #3 I don't need a 3 inch magnum for home protection.. AND I want to load with 2 shot..

Question 1: Can a 3" or 2 1/2 12 gauge shells be cut down to 2 inches?

Question 2: Can wax or paraffin be used with a crimp to seal the case?

Question 3: Is there a slug made for reloading the 12 or 20?

Thanks in advance...
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here is just one source for those that would like to reload slugs. http://www.gardnerscache.com/12_gauge_sabot_slugs.html
    I wouldn't cut the shells back to 2", instead I would just load them light. If I wanted more shells in the tube, I would purcase a tube extender for what ever model of gun I owned. Hope this helps a little. Once upon a time wax was used to seal the crimp, but that was long ago when they used a roll crimp.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You can cut the shells back. There are us that have to, as we shoot guns chambered in 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch shells. Problem is, finding loads. None of the loading manuals have any. They are all made for 2 3/4 and longer. Wads are made to use with 2 3/4 shells.

Another problem is repeating shotguns are made work with a certain length of shell. You go too short, and the shell won't feed. Aquila, in Mexico, makes short shells. 1 1/2" overall length. http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-119-aguila-12ga-mini-shell-4b-shot.aspx They were designed so cops could carry 15 rounds in a standard riot gun. When they came out with them, they said they would work in Remington and Mossberg pumps, but would not work in Winchester. They would not work in autoloaders, period. There was a lot of discussion, on various boards, when they came out, and it was a mix of, "Yea, they work great in my gun" and "Damn, they won't feed at all in my gun". So, I guess, with them, you pays your nickel and you takes your chance.
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

The previous posts are spot-on. Get a mag extension and load light 2 3/4 loads.

As for slugs, I cast my own 12 gauge slugs from a Lee mold. It was easy to find a load that provided low recoil and 'minute-of-bad guy' accuracy. I use Unique powder and AA12 wads since I always have a good supply of both.