12 gauge Ammunition question.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun runner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Does anyone know how many sizes are there for a 12 gauge? Is it just 2 3/4" and 3" . I know my new shotgun can handle 3" from what I can read on the barrel but I cant tell if the other number is 2 3/4 or not. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch are what you're going to find 12 gauge in. Generally smaller shells can be shot in larger chambers, i.e. 2 3/4 in a 3" chamber. But, accuracy can suffer as the distance from the end of the shell to the forcing cone of the barrel can allow the shot charge to expand. When this happens, the shot is compressed back together at the cone and the shot can be deformed. Also, keep in mind a 3" shell refers to an unloaded shell (the length they are AFTER they're fired). Thus a 3" shell will fit into a 2 3/4" chamber, and potentially cause you problems.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You can find 2 1/2" shells and 2 5/8", but you'll have to look real hard and be prepared to pay a heap.

Also Aquila makes "short 12 gauge" shells. Inch and a half, I believe. They are also expensive.

You can shoot the shorter shells in the longer chambers. There is no problem there. The really short shell might not cycle in the action of a tube-fed repeater.
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks, I wonder why on my single shot break open that the shotshell (2 3/4) sticks out a little by the primer when its in the chamber but it shoots and ejects perfect. I guess its made that way. Its a stevens 12 gauge
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

12 ga is chambered up to 3.5" The longer chambers can shoot shorter shells safely. In fact the longer chamber usually helps the short shells pattern better. Sort of the same way reaming the forcing cone does.

The 12 ga 3.5" chamber was born witht he 12 ga supermagnums like the Mossy 835 ulti mag and the remy 870 supermag. Both are 3.5" 12 ga shotguns geared toward turkey and waterfowl hunting. Some of the 3.5" loads rival the awesome power of the mighty 10 ga. Which is very expensive to shoot, extremely hard to find, and kicks like a raging mule. course so does the 12 ga 3.5s
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I thought better of you.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My Apologies Professor Alpo. I remember the peeves thread and retract 'mossy' and 'Remy' and insert Mossberg and Remington respectively. ;) :p
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

2 5/8 i think I have an old a-5 (clone?) in that.. quite an old gun..
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member