12 gauge Iver Johnson serial # HTHR

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RKSmithy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. RKSmithy

RKSmithy New Member

Hello. I recently purchased an Iver Johnson single barrel 12 guage with the serial # of "HTHR" behind the trigger guard and under the wooden fore-end. I have read other posts where some folks had older models that shouldn't be shot with modern shells. I don't want to blow myself up but really want to fire this bad boy. The markings are as follow: On the side plate "Champion" "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works" "Fitchburg Mass USA". On top of the barrel it reads "12 gauge choke bore barrel and lug forged n one-". Can anyone give me some info on this? Thanks a heap!
  2. Sprint

Sprint Member

RKSmithy,

Hi. Your Iver Johnson Champion shotgun was produced between 1940 and 1956 according to the lettered serial number. It can be safely used with modern 2 3/4" shells if the gun is in good condition.

Sprint