The Firearms Forum banner

12 grit or 24 grit Walnut media

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  artabr 
#1 ·
Which grit would be preferrable to use in my tumbler? The 12 grit being the finest and 24 more coarser? Thanks in advance. For those of you in the market for a tumbler, Harbor Freight has a 5 lb. model for $49+ change. Sorry Mr Bennet, it isn't a Dillon!

#2 ·
Probably better to try both & see what works best. I always buy the big bags of walnut or corn media at gun shows & add some jeweler's rouge.

I have a RCBS vibratory that I've used a lot & from what I hear the vibratory units clean faster than the tumblers. I've noticed that tumbler at Harbour Freight & wanted to know how it would work. Please let us know how it's working for you.

Whatever you use for media make sure to check your primer holes & if media gets stuck in there to poke it out.

#3 ·
Popgunner,

Thanks for the info and tip. I still haven't purchased the Harbor Freight tumbler-my location were out of them. I may be able to pick up one in Phoenix when I will be there this upcoming week and will let you know. Where can I buy the jeweler's rouge?

#5 ·
I use 24 grit. Look around and see if you have any sandblasting supply businesses in your area. They sell walnut blasting media. :)
I bought a 50 pound bag of 24 grit for about $14 bucks about 2 years ago.
I'm sure the price has went up, but it's still a bargain.

Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.