12 guage double

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by leon miller, Oct 11, 2003.

1. leon miller

leon miller New Member

My father gave me this old gun when I was a kid 55 years ago and it was very old then. I used it way back when to bird hunt with.
    It has exposed hammers, it is all metal except butstock.
    The forearm swings to the side to un-brich. Has a metal butplate.
    Has W.RICRARDS on each side plates near the hammers.
    I have only seen one other like it many years ago and it appeared to have brass soft plugs along about the middle of each barrel. Anyone able to tell me more about my old gun?
    Thanks Leon
  2. leon miller

leon miller New Member

shot gun

Might need to add that my dad traded a old mule for this old gun so it should be worth at least a old mule or its bones.
  3. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

4. SXSMAN

SXSMAN New Member

Please look at the writing again. It may be a Wesley Richards made in England. Need more info.

But at least it's a SxS :D
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Very doubtful. Open the action and look for the Belgian proofmark. It will appear as an E over an LG enclosed in an oval.

This is one of the more often-seen Belgian side-by-sides from the late 1800's. There were many imported into the US for sale by mail-order houses under various brand names designed to fool unsophisticated buyers. Brand names such as W Richards, Barker, and Sam Holt were probably the most flagrant.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Leon......and welcome to TFF.

I agree with Country Gunsmith. This is most likely an inexpensive Belgian-made shotgun sold by a mail-order house or local hardware store.

Be aware that this gun was most likely designed for blackpowder and is not safe with modern shotgun shells.....best to use it as a wallhanger or family heirloom.
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi Leon.

A very hearty greeting as we are glad to see you here at TFF. We all hope you will join us often and post often. We have a very congenial group which possesses superb firearm and weapon knowledge.

I agree with Xracer that this gun could be dangerous with today's shells. I, myself, covet a good SxS, but would only want a modern one that could be used frequently for birds and/or clays. Hang it on the wall and fondly remember its origins to you each time you glance at it!