12ga. Ammo Tube Question...

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CobraGT40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CobraGT40

CobraGT40 New Member

Hi all ! I'm kinda new here, but this looks like an awesome forum from what I've seen so far.

I recently purchased my first 12 guage pump today and had a couple questions. I'm not sure of the manufacture date ( I bought from my boss and the shotgun was his grandfather's) but is a Noble 60D with what looks like a 27.5" barrel and a 14" ammo tube (measured from the receiver)

My questions are;

1. I would like to shorten the barrel to 18.5" ... is this accomplished by simply having it cut ? Do I purchase a 18.5" barrel ? Is this something I have to have done by a gunsmith or is it something I can do myself ?

2. I would like an extended ammo tube... Are they universal or is it an item I will have to track down or have made custom ?

As I said before, I have never owned a shotgun before so I apologize if these questions make me sound like an idiot. I live in Illinois and our gun laws are a bit strict, so I want to make sure everything is legal. I know in IL. you can have 18.5" or longer for the barrel, not certain about the ammo tube. I bought the 12ga. for $50.00 and its in decent shape, I'm not worried about what it's worth. I want to use it for messing around at the sportmen's club and home defense. I would like it to look like an older police special 12ga. (ammo tube and barrel the same length)

Thanks for your patience !

Scott
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, Scott ! Here's my .02 on your situation, If you're going to be using it for home defense, you'd be much better off to look at something more reliable and ruggedly built. Nobles was never known for fine craftsmanship; a quick disassembly and inspection will show you that they were made to be economical shotguns; NOT one I would put my life on the line with. Also, for just taking out to the range and "messing around" with; it will do just fine for that, you may have to put up with FTF (failure to feed) and parts breaking, depending on the care from the previous owner. Put a few hundred rounds through it at the range before you decide to do any customizing on it; don't jump at throwing $150-200 bucks into a $100 shotgun to customize it and then realize its not as reliable as you'd like.

You can cut the barrel down; as far as replacement of the tube, suitable parts may be rather hard to find. Noble pretty much tanked due to quality issues many years ago; Numrich does have limited parts available.

I think with what you're after, a Rem 870 Tactical or Mossberg 500 would be a much better investment. Might be a little more upfront, but well worth it in reliability and fun in the field.

( the questions don't make you seem like an idiot either; quite the contrary! )
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

To answer question 1 yes, a hack saw is what you use. 18.5 inches is playing it safe (good idea) 18in is the legal limit but god forbid you have to recrown the muzzle or cut back a little more if you cut right at 18in your done, no exceptions. Cut with a hacksaw then square off the muzzle with a good file. Take a knife and trim the sharp edges inside the barrel after cutting and squaring. Google it, there are many sites with step by step. Make sure you measure twice and measure it the proper way (bolt face to muzzle end). Do not use the pipe cutter method. Bad idea.
    Ammo tubes are not universal, they are brand specific and only a few brands have this option. (Remington, Mossberg, to name a few) I think a Noble you stuck with what you have. You many find that in the mag tube there will be a spacer. this spacer is there to limit how many shells you can get in the mag. 3 is the standard (rules for hunting) but with it removed you can get 5. (do not hunt w/o this spacer, big fines, but your already illegal to hunt b/c you cut down the barrel).
    You'll find that after cutting the barrel that the mag tube is not much shorter anyway. Anything longer would just look stupid.
    Welcome to the forum, no your not an idiot, the idiot doesn't ask and pays for it later.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. CobraGT40

CobraGT40 New Member

Hey guys....thanks so much for your swift replies ! I think I'll just leave it the way it is just in case I ever DO need a shotgun for hunting...since it was only $50.00

I was actually considering the Mossberg 500 since you can pick up them up pretty cheap for brand new.

I have a few other long rifles and a couple pistols, so I'll be asking many more questions in the near future...

Thanks again !

Scott
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Interesting statement. Exactly where, in this country, is it illegal to hunt with a shotgun with a cut-down barrel?

The plug is to limit how many shells you can have in your gun when hunting migratory game birds. Cutting your shotgun to an 18.5 inch "no-choke" would, pretty much, make it an exercise in futility hunting dove or duck. But "illegal"? Never heard of such. Educate me.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I think your decision to leave it as is, is a sound one. Nobel folded up their tents in 1971, Parts age getting few and far between. Your not going to find a replacement barrel or tube and to have one custom made is $$$, way more than your guns value. I agree with a couple of the above suggustions , By a used 870. parts and goodies galore.