15 year old driving with grenade launcher in CA ?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_18886441iiuuu

A 15-year-old boy was arrested Tuesday in Novato after a rocket-propelled grenade launcher was found in the car he was driving, police said.

The incident occurred around 11 a.m. on Novato Boulevard near the public library, where police stopped a blue Dodge Durango for a minor traffic violation. When Novato police Officer Alan Bates approached the car, he saw the weapon in the back seat.

Police shut down Novato Boulevard between Seventh Street and Grant Avenue during the ensuing investigation. A bomb squad from the University of California was summoned to examine the weapon, while Novato firefighters stood by and a California Highway Patrol helicopter hovered overhead.

The weapon had no ammunition, and Novato police took it into evidence.
    Novato police are investigating the source of the launcher, which had a serial number, said Novato police Cpl. Nick Frey.

The suspect's brother is a member of the military, but he was not arrested and came to drive the Durango away.

The library and some nearby offices closed voluntarily while the investigation was in progress. Police reopened Novato Boulevard around 2 p.m.

-------------------------------------------------------------

what is a 15 year old doing driving ????
  2. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

He was in California Jack. The land of liberals. I was able to get a picture of the "grenade launcher" they seized. He may spend the rest of his life in jail.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

I'd love to have a grenade launcher...
  4. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

DON'T LAUGH !!! In NEW YORK, slingshots ..er, I mean grenade launchers are ILLEGAL. You can't buy one anywhere anymore. I guess you can still make your own, and I don't know if there was a grandfather clause, but no lie- you can't buy one.
  5. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

The story was vague on the driving part. Not sure if the kid was driving illegally, or if he had some kind of hardship/farm license. As the to the RPG launcher, I'm guessing it was the "spoils of war." Big bro probably brought it home from the sandbox. If that's the case, he can kiss his military career goodbye, and he will be lucky if he doesn't have to make a extended (non) TDY to Kansas. The biggest thing I don't get is why do the cops always call the bomb squad in? It doesn't much more than a few brain cells to know if a RPG launcher is loaded or not. The actual projectile is rather sizable. The only good part of this story that I can see is that Ali Baba is short one tube.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

word back here its a old laaws training rocket M66 variety and brother was cleared as the sorce as the kid states he found it in a pile of trash where cops later found soldier of fortune mags nazi memorbilia and apparently was some nutters who got locked up on a weapons violation and the land lord had turfed all the "stuff" including the M66 tube

waiting for some media info but probably wont come , but instead they use it to restrict arms or ammo ..
  7. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Grew up in Mill Valley. My wife grew up in Novato, The Attitude of Marin County is something else. I was a Reserve Police Officer in Larkspur,1975 to 1980. Left CA in 2005 never looked back
    Glen
  8. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

If it's a old, deactivated LAW, then I'm pretty sure it is perfectly legal to own. Who knows in CA, though. I just wish the cops would stop freaking out every time they see something that "appears" to be a weapon. This country is becoming a outright police state.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Correction! It has already become an outright police state!
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    An empty fiber glass tube with a sight and a trigger and no way of being used again, wow. Call the freaking bomb squad, call out the national guard and the marines and the Haz Mat unit. Impose an emergency martial law, cut cell phone service and cut all utilities. Arrest everybody who meets a minimum height and weight who might conceivably be capable of firing this nefarious weapon.

Or hire veterans with a MOS that had something to do with weapons handling and fire all the ninnie draft dodging weenies who are cops now.

Sorry but this kind of stupid really gets under my skin.
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

For Pete's sake - driving around with an RPG or LAW in plain sight...

Always use a tarp. :D
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

A good indian blanket would do.
  13. al45lc

al45lc New Member

If it's the M-72 L.A.W. then it's legal in many states, after all it's just a tube once fired. Much ado over nothing.