16 Gauge Iver Johnson question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cote2621, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cote2621

cote2621 New Member

Hey all, new to this forum and have a few questions about this shotgun that was passed down to me. Its an Iver Johnson 16 gauge shotgun full choke barrel and lug forged in one. My grandfather bought it in 1956. Its a champion series and there were some letters behind the trigger guard that says "CRXH". Can anyone tell me when this was shotgun was made, the value of this shotgun, and if there any specific loads i am supposed to use? i dont want to load the wrong type of ammo and blow myself to shreds. Thanks alot in advance!

Zach
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Iver Johnson used all Letters in their serial numbers starting in the 1940's until 1956. Modern era so it should be chambered for the 2 3/4 inch shell. I would advise against steel shot.