16 Gauge -Savage Arms- Model. Springfield 67H

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by T3hbutcher, Jun 4, 2012.

1. T3hbutcher

T3hbutcher New Member

My father gave me this shotgun on easter, it has the 3 inch chamber holds four rounds. I am wondering what kind of shells do I want to shot for what purposes. It has the long stock barrel and I do not see any rifling. I know nothing about shotguns, my only other gun is a Marlen model 60 .22 rifle. I was told it depends on how much "choke" if any the barrel has?!?!?!!? PLEASE HELP LOL

I bought a box of winchester super X or whatever 6 shot 2 3/4 shells at walmart for seven bucks, they kicked like a mother.

Its not a Springfield, its a Savage Arms model Springfield, ive been told its a cheaper version of the model stevens 12 gauge, but I dunno wtf that is either.

what about pre-rifled slugs?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Munch

Munch Member

I usually buy the Federal Hi-brass load for my Mossberg 16ga. They are 2 3/4 in 6 shot. I only use that gun for playing with clays and plinking so i don't shoot slug much. It is ok to shoot a slug through SOME chokes, Sabot chokes will actually impart some spin on the slug if I'm not mistaken. but a modified choke I think might cause some trouble. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me comes along and answers more clearly so we both know! The easiest way to check if you have a choke is to look down the barrel, (unload first =)), It will be a right at the end of your barrel an just threads in and out. Or if it has an external adjustable choke it will be obvious.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. T3hbutcher

T3hbutcher New Member

I have no idea, is a hi-brass load actually made of brass shot? or is it just a name?!?! I dont even know what choke is, I assume its a tightening of the barrel somewhere, I heard someone say if a DIME falls down into the barrel of your 12 gauge then it has no choke...??
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Use a rifled slug for smooth barrels and a sabot slug for a rifled barrel. Hi brass meabs that the brass at the base of the shell rises higher than an average shell. My 20, 12, and .410 shoot rifled slugs through mod and full chokes all day long. If you don't have a choke set for the springfield look on the barrel near the receiver, and see if you find either mod, full, our imp written.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  5. T3hbutcher

T3hbutcher New Member

its the 28 inch smooth barrel i have no idea if it has a choke it looks totally stock and was my grandfathers i dont think any work has been done to it, the barrel is wider closer to the reciever than it is at the muzzle on the O.D. however.

I just looked and these are the marking on the barel by the reciever from right to left: F, and ACE symbol, SP circled with an oval, Right on top it says 1x, and on the left side it has 1.5x with asteriks on both sides im assuming meaning its an update or last work done, and an R.

So the f means full choke, and maybe thre 1 x means it was modified to 1x xhoxke, then later to 1 and a half choke? and what does this all mean as har as shooting sluggs etc and my shot pattern?