1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

16-inch .30-30 performance

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Snowman366, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Snowman366

Snowman366 New Member

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge to share with regard to taking deer or wild boar at short-range with a shorty .30-30...?

I have a Marlin "Spikehorn" Model 336 .30-30 lever gun with a 16.5-inch barrel. Do carbines like this have a preference in bullet weight or style in order to get the best hunting performance out of them?

Thanks.
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome to TFF Snowman366! I don't have any experience hunting with the Carbines. But I had a Win. 94 Carbine in .45 LC that I liked a lot just shooting targets. Maybe one of the hunting folk will be along soon...;)
  3. misiu

misiu New Member

Hello Snowman366-

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace!!

In answer to your question having owned a 30-30 short barrel carbine I can say that as long as you keep your shots within and reasonable range (100 yards or so for deer sized game) it should be more than enough rifle if you place your shots well (this applies in all cases anyway-even if using a 460 Weatherby Mag.)

I would recomend the 150 grain bullet as it has the best all around ballistics for this cartridge. I have chronographed my loads at around 2300 feet per second and this is plenty of power at close range. Remember that for every 1" of barrel you gain approx. 25-30 ft/sec that is why the velocity is so low with the short barrelled carbines.

Hope this helps:
  4. Snowman366

Snowman366 New Member

Thanks, guys....appreciate the help. I'm an LEO and thought this shorty .30-30 would make a dandy cruiser carbine for euthanizing road-injured livestock.
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Hey, John (misiu), mind sharing the load data on your loads? I'm getting a Lee Anniversary kit for my birthday (next week!) and want to start working up some loads for my 336.
  6. misiu

misiu New Member

30-30 loads

Hello JohnK:

Sorry to take so long to answer you-have been on the road for a while-I will send you a private message with the info if I can figure out how to do that.
  7. Snowman366

Snowman366 New Member

Snowman366

Have taken my shorty Marlin 336 to the outdoor range twice now. Last trip was yesterday when the weather finally thawed out some. It's a stock gun, except for the William's "5-D" aperture rear-sight I had installed.

Astounded at how accurately the little carbine shoots. I fired it at an 80-yard range from off a sandbag at a rifle bench. Had three 3-inch groups, which was REALLY gratifying since I'm not a stellar rifleman, now or when I was a youngster.

Hoping I can improve on it when the warm weather gets here and I can experiment some more. Was shooting Winchester 150-grain jsp's. Ordered in some of Federal Cartridge's 125-grain jhp's to try, also.