16ga shotgun shells

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Thomas_1, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I love to squirrel hunt and when the leaves are on the trees I use my Ithaca 16ga pump model 37. The trouble is it is getting harder and harder to find shells for a 16ga. Do you think that eventually 16ga shells will be totally discontinued? With that said how long would you keep shells? I have kept them for around 5 to 6 years without any problems as long as they stay dry. I do hear that they do lose some power kept that long.
  2. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

I don't think they'll ever be discontinued. It may get to the point where you can only order them instead of walking into a store and buying them off the shelf, but that would be years and years off IMO. As far as keeping shells, man they'll last almost forever if kept in even a halfway dry state. I've shot WW2 era 8mm and .45acp on several occasions and hundreds of 7.62x54r rounds from the mid 1980's. They all shoot like brand new. I've shot old 12ga shells that were at least 15 years old with no difference from brand new shells. So stock up on 16ga. if you like. They'll be fine for a very long time :)
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I got some 12 ga from the 80's and they work just fine. They do dirty up the bore a little more but nothing major.