16Ga sxs external hammer shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jlg, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jlg

jlg New Member

Hi all! I recently came by a couple of old shotguns at a moving sale. A note with the guns, supposed to be from a former owner, said the guns were turned in to allied troops by German citizens at the end of WWII. One was an Eclipsis (sp?) with damascus barrels, easy to identify, this one not so much.
    It is a double barrel side by side, external hammers, double triggers, a solid rib and a single bead front sight and a lot of engraving(leafy scroll work mostly) I can't find a maker's name, but a number; 22235 is on the barrels and reciever. Also on both are the letters JD , a series of numbers; 1.8.42 and an M with a small star over it. The barrel also has a circle with an I E and maybe a G together with a small star.
    The lever to break open the gun is underneath along with a smaller similar lever to detach the barrels and forestock. The stock has some checkering and the number 1.8.42 on it. The butt plate is metal. Both loops for a sling are present and appear to match the rest of the piece.
    The lock work seems to work properly as does the extractor although the firing pin return springs don't seem to work. There is pitting and a brownish patina (sp?) on some of the metal work. The stock has some dings and small scratches and may have been refinished in the past.
    Any asssistance is appreciated. This is a nice looking interesting gun, well worth what I paid just as a wall hanger but the dogs need fed so hopefully I can find a new home for this gun.

Attached Files:

2. jlg

jlg New Member

Sorry about the long post but I like talking guns. I did forget to mention the barrel length of 28'.

thanks again
    jlg

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Belgium made shotguns were imported by the thousands. Quality ranged from non existent to excellent. That one might bring 300 IF you can find somebody that wants it.
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Me thinks that Hawg is being generous as to value so as not to bruise your feelings. It is a wall hanger. No shoot.
  6. jlg

jlg New Member

No hurt feelings here, it is worth the $20 it cost me as a wall-hanger. I have already sold the other one as such for $50+ worth of electrical work on my curcuit breaker box, so I more than made my money back. Thanks for the responses. :)

jeff
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

And a step or two above the average Belgian wall hanger.