.17 fireball problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by the wolf, Nov 15, 2011.

1. the wolf

the wolf Member

I hoping for someone to help me out... I got a .17 fireball die set.. knowing the drill in cleaning the brass,, etc.. I got the deprimer set right depth but comes to seating the bullet.. somehow I got the mouth too much that the bullet will go into the case.. I tried rechanging the deprimer depth.. I having a hard time.. I have no problems with larger cals like 270, 3006 etc. Iam willing to send the dies to anyone to can set it right.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Bring the ram to the upmost postion, screw the sizing die down until it just contacts the shellholder. Sounds as if you are not sizing correctly, do you have instructions for the dies? A reloading manual?
  3. the wolf

the wolf Member

Yes sir,, got the reloading book and paper came with the dies.. I had no problems with other dies.. just only this one. I had the die almost touch the ram.. the deprimer pin poking out 1/8th inch past the ram to clear the primer hole.... i
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Are the dies labeled 17 rem fireball or simply 17 rem? The 17 rem is a .223 necked down to .17, and the 17 fireball is a .221 rem fireball necked to 17. there is a difference of about a half inch in length between the 2, the 17 rem being longer. if the dies are for 17 rem, then the caseneck isnt reaching the sizer.. you will need a die set for 17 fireball.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres a pic with a .223 case for comparison

Attached Files:

6. the wolf

the wolf Member

I have to take a close look of the dies will get back on that part... unless someone swap out the dies.. they are brand new dies. the cal I am working on is .17 fireball...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah double chek the dies. somethins not right and thats the first thing that popped in my head. Only difference on paper for the folks at the factory is a fireball at the end. and both would be listed together. Wouldnt be too difficult to mix em up if one werent paying attention..
  8. the wolf

the wolf Member

OK I did look it up.. the die box and dies labeled as .17 rem The brass I have and the box that holds the the empties read and look on bottom of brass which said .17 rem fireball... appeared I got the wrong dies.. :eek: the sales person gave that one.. I didnt really look hard. but I did recall.. told the person I want 17 rem fireball. damn..... no wonder the bullet wont seat and crimp right.. you can push it in without effort.:(
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I figured. Whered you buy it at?
  10. the wolf

the wolf Member

a local sporting good store that carry reloading etc.... I dont think I can get an exchange.. would sell in this site and go on line site where I get most of my stuff from to get the right one
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They wont do a swap out? Id think most reloading suppliers would, especially with dies.
  12. the wolf

the wolf Member

I can find out tomarrow when I go by the place coming home from work...
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah, Id at least ask em. Especially if you explain that the mix up is on their behalf, you just didnt notice until you got home and tried to load your cases. Id think theyd make it right with you. I would if I were trying to run a profitable business..
  14. the wolf

the wolf Member

yep will do.. the store is well known and got a good rep.. so it should be no problem.. and I have order brass for it too.. the ones I did are no good the neckhole is too strech out. thanks for the big tip up...:thumbsup:
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Glad to help.