.17 HMR FMJ Hunting Results

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Xyang86, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Xyang86

Xyang86 New Member

i was just wondering if anyone has the same results as i do with the .17 HMR FMJ ammo.. I though the FMJ was suppose to zip a tiny hole through the animal.. but for my results it was a different story.. the FMJ i shot has the same results as the 20 grain game point ammo.. it's not as destructive as the 17 grain V-Max but it will zip a large hole like the 20 grain game point.. My rifle model is a Savage 93R17 Heavy Barrel..

I would like to know the results of anyone who has ever shot the .17 HMR FMJ at a squirrel before.. Thanks..
  2. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

I can't say from experience but I do know that the .17hmr is a very high velocity bullet, I think it's faster than a 5.56 nato round. (i'll have to check that) Which means it has a high velocity shockwave associated with it. You might not get the same results as a good .22 hollowpoint, but it's definitely going to do some damage.

edit: nope slower than a5.56 nato but still high speed
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have shot tree rats,rabbits,ground hogs,etc.the round does not travel as fast as the 223 but it is designed to shed its destructive force upon impact.this means most if the destructive force is made to game and not through it.i have shot squirrels in the head and mostly removed their heads when shot.i have seen hogs hit in the head and they dropped immediatley.your 17 hmr is doing what it was designed to do. old semperfi
  4. Xyang86

Xyang86 New Member

Thanks guys.. im very satisfy with my .17 hmr.. its dead on accurate and pack a punch at anything coon size or smaller.. i was just kinda surprise how destructive the fmj ammo was..
  5. William Harper

William Harper New Member

I find the standard Hornady .17 HMR 17 grain V-max load very good on squirrels from close range to 100 yards from my single shot Savage Stevens Favorite Model 30R17. I average ca. 1.25" at 100 yards with the factory iron sights and always fire from a supported position aiming for the head. Suddenly, the squirrel falls, missing on average 50% of its head. Worries about windage- when the wind is blowing? I find much less drift past, say 35 yards, than with a .22 LR. I love the latter on quiet days, but when the wind blows and the call comes to thin-out the squirrel population, I reach for my .17 HMR Favorite. The .17 HMR FMJ might be good for dealing with rat-hole snipers under the Geneva Convention (no muzzle flash or audible report in a firefight), but ought to be OK on squirrels with good head-shots.